itunes help???

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

itunes help???

Postby jbrown157 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:49 pm

I have some music purchased from Itunes that I would like to put into my digital library. I'm having problems doing it. Any help would be welcomed.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:23 pm

My experiences in the past with iTunes is that if you want to have complete control of your music, you first have to burn a CD of your purchased music, then you can rip it to any format you want (unprotected).
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: itunes help???

Postby jimmiem » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:08 pm

or google jhymn. iTunes 6 breaks jhymn, but they will have a fix soon enough.
jimmiem

Postby DJ Scott » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:04 am

Same as CJ here....Burn it then Ripp.
Scott McKinney
Solid Sound Entertainment
Loveland, CO.
www.solidsoundentertainment.com
www.solidsoundbubbleparties.com
DJ Scott

Postby Hiram Garcia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm

If you wanna use the music or play the music with other software that is not I tunes you need to record it in to a cd, than from that cd you can put it in to a new file so you can use it with any other software, iwas having problems trying to find my new music in traktor dj and thats what I do every time I get new music so get yourself a rewrittable cd. I hope this helps. 8)
Hiram Garcia

Postby Dj Sean » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:09 pm

You don't have to rip in burn if your songs are in any of the following formats: AAC, ALE, AIFF, WAV, or OGG VORBIS. All you have to do is convert your files to MP3 then your all set. To do this go into preferences/advanced/import and select import as MP3. You can even set your bit rate settings here.

If you really dig into all this there is a ton of information on what does what, as far as, MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, MP4, even ALE (Apple Lossless Encoding). I will save all this for another thread one day. But if you have any questions let me know.
Last edited by Dj Sean on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:49 am

DJ Sean, is this a new feature of iTunes?

It used to be, that to satisfy the record companies, the only thing you could download from iTunes was encrypted AAC files that were limited by the number of computers that could have rights to play that file (I think there was a limit on the number of times you could burn it too.)

Has this changed now?
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Dj Sean » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:04 am

No, it's not a new feature of itunes. The option has been available ever since I can remember. You are still downloading the songs as AAC but as it gets cataloged in itunes it will automatically convert any song that is added to the library to whatever you choose.
But don't forget it is wasteful to make your setting, for example WAV but you bought the song as MP3. This makes the file huge but without the quality because you can never increase the quality of your songs, you can only make them smaller, Ex: say turn a WAV into a MP3.

I believe apple has lightened up on this. Cause here is what I found: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/move/
I think the rules have changed hear a litlle since the beginning of the itunes store and also it depends on where you bought the songs in the first place. Ex: itunes, MP3.com, beatport.com, etc. they all have different rules to that I believe. :lol:
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:03 am

I never contributed to this thread because I thought it was a PC only problem and I use Mac. But I checked some things out. Here's my Mac results:

Purchased music is NOT in AAC format, but M4P (that stands for 'mpeg-4 protected'). Itunes WILL burn an audio CD which it will then re-rip, but iTunes will not convert it directly. AAC is one of the choices when ripping stuff. Except M4P, iTunes will convert anything.

MegaSeg (my software of choice) and DJ-1800 will play M4P without problems. Traktor will not. And that makes sense since MegaSeg and DJ-1800 use QuickTime to play songs while Traktor does not.

MegaSeg's users manual makes it even clearer: MegaSeg will play anything iTunes will play. What they mean by that is, as additional formats are introduced, update iTunes, which will update QuickTime. MegaSeg is then up-to-date automatically.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby jwg » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:53 am

As jimmie said, jhymn is an option to convert to mp3 within a free software program. The problem is, if you have version 6.0 or later of iTunes, jhymn is useless. Luckily, I somehow at one time, was able to find a copy of version 4.7 of iTunes on oldversion.com. Unfortunately, oldversion.com no longer has older versions of iTunes.

jhymn is not anything illegal. You have an option of converting m4p's to mp3 and saving the original m4p. Just make sure and save the folder containing the original m4p files as an original copy of any purchased tracks.

jhymn

Be sure and scroll down to read the part about What JHymn is meant to do
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dj Sean » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:18 pm

Ah I forgot they made everything M4P or is it M4A now. I believe there are some other cheap converters out there. Here is what I found: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/m4p-convert-mp3.html
http://www.tunebite.com/website/v2/en/home.php
Here's the link to jHymn in case anyone was wondering about it more:
http://www.hymn-project.org/[/url]
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Wed May 31, 2006 12:20 pm

the worst thing for me is that the burner in i-tunes does not include the text in the burn process. i'm spoiled and i like to scroll my selections on my cd player. like CJ said, you have to burn it and then rip-it (renaming files) in the format and bitrate of choice. :cry:
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Prime Time » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:41 pm

Dj Sean wrote:You don't have to rip in burn all you have to do is convert your files from AAC to MP3 then your all set. To do this go into preferences/advanced/import and select import as MP3. You can even set your bit rate settings here. This will make all the songs that you buy in the future MP3.

To convert the songs you already bought, right click the songs and you should have a option that says "convert selection to MP3".

Apple's iTunes default is AAC which is their equivalent to WMA. AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding in case you where wondering.

If you really dig into all this there is a ton of information on what does what, as far as, MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, MP4, even ALE (Apple Lossless Encoding). I will save all this for another thread one day. But if you have any questions let me know.

Do you need to have a different version than iTunes7 because when I go to Advanced I do not see a "import" choice?

Also, when I right click on a downloaded song I do not have a choice to select that will convert to mp3. The only choice it gives me is to "convert selection to ACC".
» Jeff Rothgeb
Prime Time Music & Entertainment
Prime Time

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:44 am

I think you missed it the first time, its there.

when you open preferences, go to the advanced option, you will have three choices: General, Importing, and Burning. Select Importing, them select the option: Import Using. Then select mp3.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Prime Time » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Dj Sean wrote:I think you missed it the first time, its there.

when you open preferences, go to the advanced option, you will have three choices: General, Importing, and Burning. Select Importing, them select the option: Import Using. Then select mp3.

I found it. I can't believe it is that easy. I see so many people talking about having to burn to cd then rip back to harddrive as mp3.

Thanks for helping out you have saved my butt a lot of time because I use PCDJ and it was giving me headaches.
» Jeff Rothgeb
Prime Time

Postby Prime Time » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:33 pm

Another questions about iTunes. I will download the EXPLICIT version sometimes but I always get the edited version for my weddings. They don't distinguish between the two so I am trying to figure out how to fix that or be able to edit the title.
» Jeff Rothgeb
Prime Time

Postby Prime Time » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:02 pm

Update:

I switched over to Mp3 just like the post said to do but when I get my download it is not in Mp3 format and still will not play on my PCDJ.

Also, if I right click on any selection it gives me the option to switch to mp3 but when I do this I get a message that says that the song could not be converted because of being write-protected or being of the wrong type.

Any suggestions here?
» Jeff Rothgeb
Prime Time

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:08 pm

I think Promo Only, which alot of mobile DJ's use for purchasing their music, does this for you.

As far as the itunes store they have this already done for you, songs will be titled dirty or explicit version and clean or radio version.

As for music you get by other means you will have to self title those songs.

Double-click the song title in itunes and edit accordingly.

Another thing you can do, rate your songs. I rate my songs, so I know at a glance whats great, good and sucky.

And one more thing you want to know. You can customize your itunes information collumns by right clicking on any of them, for example right click on the GENRE box at the top, a menu will come up with many options select BPM and it will add a BPM collumn.

This is another collumn I use personally, plus you can find free BPM counter programs at download.com

Imagine knowing, at a glance, how fast or slow your songs are.

Its the little things that separate a good DJ from a great DJ.
Good luck, and customize away!!!!
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:16 pm

Primetime, if your downloading purchased music from itunes those songs come to you as m4p's. They won't play in most DJ software as far as I know

The "p" stands for protected, thats what everyone here was talking about.
It was the only way itunes could sell music or big record labels wouldn't have it.

The only work around is to burn all your purchased songs onto CD. Then reimport them into itunes this, will then automatically turn those m4p's into mp3 for you. (Because, remember, you set your option in "importing" to Mp3 format). The upside to this painful task, is at least your making backup CD's of everything you buy.

But, if you don't want to go that route, I would suggest looking into Promo Only or one of their competitors.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting