Tractor Dj Software??

Many DJ's are "switching up" to computers as the new way to DJ. They provide near-instant access to large song lists and can be integrated to control video and DMX lighting.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Tractor Dj Software??

Postby djdre » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:10 pm

I am just getting started I have my new laptop and I am wondering as to which dj software to use I have seen pcdj red used but very little. I went to Guitar center and they have tractor and I have never heard of it. I need some help in choosing which one I should go with. any help would be gretly appreciated Thank you!!
djdre

Postby dokai » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:22 pm

I've used PCDJ Red for years and had pretty good luck with it. A few months ago I played with Virtual DJ at the Mobile Beat show in Niagra Falls, and was very impressed with it. I'd put both of those on my "must try" list, but the main thing is to try a LOT of them. They all have their good points and bad points. Find which one works best for YOU.

There are several other threads here where you can read reviews and opinions on the software. Just use the "search" function and you should be able to come up with them. But nothing beats actually playing with the software for a while. Good luck!
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:42 pm

Part of it depends upon which platform you are on, and whether or not you're planning on doing beat mixing.

Traktor is one of the few DJ programs that is available for both Mac & PC. It got high praise in Apple's e-zine a few years back, and is the back end for Stanton's virtual turntable system. It has tons of features that are attrative to the club mix jock. However, it is very complex.

If you're primarily going to line up a bunch of song and let play, and other simple stuff, you're probably better off with MegaSeg for Mac, or PCDJ for PC.

I LOVE MegaSeg, but I am starting to play with Traktor, only because I miss having the ability to mix occasionally.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: Tractor Dj Software??

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:00 am

let me suggest the PCDJ FX cd. it does it all. d/l the demo and you won't be sorry. started wit PCDJ Blue. ALSO NICE
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Professor Jam » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:46 am

What ever you decide to use don't forget to attend the 2006 Computer DJ Summit... http://www.computerdjsummit.com
Professor Jam

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:38 am

DJ Teddy Bear wrote:I LOVE MegaSeg, but I am starting to play with Traktor, only because I miss having the ability to mix occasionally.

Don't let this comment mis-lead you. You CAN mix with MegaSeg, but it's difficult because of some latency issues they are working on.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby DJ Iron Mike » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:01 am

I've been using PCDJ red 5.2 for several years. I have no interest in using anything else at the moment until a new operating system comes out that this version will no longer work on. It might be old stuff, but it still works and gets my job done and right now, that's all that matters to me.
"Iron" Mike Burke
President of NACDJ
Imagehttp://www.nacdjs.org
DJ Iron Mike
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Location: In the Set of "Gods & Generals" - Fredericksburg VA

Postby djdonny » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:51 pm

I've decided on Virtual DJ. I don't need most of the added features of PCDJ, so I'm going with the simpler user interface on VDJ.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djdre » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Thank you all for your input It helps alot I am thinking I will probably download the pcdj FX VRM and try it out and see how happy I am with it! I thank you all for your input as I said This will be the First time for me. Again thanks and keep Rockin the Crowd!!

DJ DRE
Music Master Entertainment
jamwithmme.com
djdre

Postby hernan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:19 pm

I am in love with the tractor software.
I am still looking for a bargain on the price.

In my market, it is expected that you beatmix. And this gives me the ability to beat mix a couple songs or a 10-60 minute set, at home.

Drop them in and 'pass' as a beatjuggler. As long as you are looking busy, the crowd wont think too much. They will just reflect thew love you put into thier music.

On Tractor, there is a visual that simulates soundwaves and you just line up the beats (of both songs) visually, check them sonically, and then tweak the mix. It takes practice but it might be worth it, if you want to beat match.

Another good point is that it will be the backend for ALLEN AND HEATHS new midi DJ board with 5 sound cards, if it ever comes out.

All of this is a waste of time if you do not want to beat match.

A lot of 'hip' club/garage DJ's squeek by with I-Tunes. I guess it is the low budget 'bohemian' aesthetic.

I do too, to tell the truth. I will bring in my lappy top and an i-pod and dual cd for back-up and requests and just I-tune all night.
hernan

Music pc software

Postby Hiram Garcia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:14 pm

:D I been using traktor dj for the past 2 years, I run my show in 2 powerboos g4.And I also tried all the software versions for the mac, and I belive that traktor dj is the best one. 8)
Hiram Garcia

Postby crazyd » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:59 am

I second Hiram Garcia
the big thing is does it work?
and is it stable?
cause if you have faulty equipment, you look like a dunce
for my money anything that is designed for MAC is fool proof
i have made the transition from Traktor DJ Studio 2.0, which is a fairly simple application
to its upgrade Traktor DJ Studio 2.5, which is a big upscale on the traktor platform, which is probobly what most jocks will need for most applications
it has a fantastic auto feature, that you just need to tweak as you go, but left alone only the decerning listener will pick out that you are taking a free ride
Traktor DJ Studio 2.6 sweetens the pot a little with a few more features and according to the NI forums more stability
a few of my buddies use PCDJ and they are the "hack press play" dj that i dont really like, but it works, you can PCDJ on ebay for $10 and it will do the job if Traktor is out of your budget

now for the big upgrade Traktor DJ Studio 3.0
this is a totally different application, and with the exception of the extremist, you probobly wont want to go this route
it can utilize up to 4 decks, again has the studio features, which i actually used for the first time yesterday, and edited some intros for a local hockey tournament
very sweet
it utilizes and is mentored around the allen and heath X-One 92 mixer, unfamiliar to me untill i researched it from native instruments website
this is the standard in the UK and Europe
Traktor 3 is not an autoplay feature, it is very hands on, and will bring you back to the old school style of djing, which is why i like it soo much
but it is pricy, since a midi controller is more than necessary to activate all the features simultainiously
a multi channel soundcard that supports ASIO
and a good mixing board couldnt hurt as well, all of which are quite pricey
Allen and Heath are just putting out the X-One 3D midi soundcard mixer which is all in one, waiting for the first unit to arrive here in town, and at $3500 it will be the most expensive mixer i have purchased and the last one i hope
One other thing that you might find very cool, is Traktor 2.6 and 3.0 are network based, so assuming you are running multi room applications (more for nightclubs, big in the UK) you can work at one and control the other
in Traktor 3 you can have a live connection to Beatport, sample, listen to and download music immediately from the only "legal" download site, which is pretty cool.
but this is only really good for the targeted market in the UK, unless you do a lot of raves
Attachments
traktor2fullshot_m_01.gif
Traktor 2.6 upgrade, that Native Instruments deemed Traktor 2
Traktor DJ Studio 3.jpg
you can see the live connection to
Beatport
crazyd

Postby jwg » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:05 pm

After running PCDJ Red 5.2 for the last 3 years, I am leaning toward PCDJ Fx. I have a friend locally that has had all kinds of stuttering problems with it
Plus, they have the latest update at the Visiosonic site and perhaps he hasn't updated his yet. Usually updates include fixes for any previous problems.

I really like the fact, after reading their forums, that it's skinnable, would fill my entire screen at the right resolution, has a built-in recorder, has an adjustable EQ and has other effects.

Not quite ready for the DAC-3 controller yet as I still have the DMC-1 and a DAC-2 controller I'm happy with for each system.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby DJ-RJ » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:27 am

I started on Traktor 2.6 and recently upgraded to 3.0 and I am loving it. Will love it even more when somebody builds hardware to run it properly.

Any ideas on what that might be ?
DJ-RJ

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:58 am

DJ-RJ -

Welcome to DJ Gold.

Good question, but we have no affiliation with Native Instruments (the company that produced Traktor). You may want to ask them since even if it's a third party manufacturer, they would know about it.

Go to www.native-instruments.com and check thier customer service section....
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Traktor DJ Studio 3 for $99.00

Postby turnde » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:56 am

Traktor DJ Studio 3 for $99.00 at Musicians Friend

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=708233
turnde

Postby hernan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:00 pm

The ultimate dance music production board, xone 3d
made 4 traktor is now in stores/clubs.

I waited for 18 months for this thing, took one look at it and
ran the other direction.

http://www.xone.co.uk/3d.htm

Dont get me wrong, when I get a spare year of time I will dedicate myself to learning live dance music production.

Could be fun!!
hernan

Postby Dj Sean » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:11 am

I use Tracktor and Rane's Serato.

They both, are rich in features for both live performing DJ's but work well with Professional Mobile DJ's.

Someone mentioned that these progs can be overwhelming, which is true to an extent I believe.

If you have been DJ'ing for anything more than 6 months you will feel right at home with the layout.

You can, if you choose, decide to ignore all the extra bells and whistles and use the bread-and-butter function of, just keeping the music going.

Then at home or your time off learn some of the more advanced features, so you can create a show that is above and beyond the "average" DJ.

In conclusion, both, Tracktor and Serato are extremely solid, well worth their purpose, and have the added bonus of tying directly into your itunes application, (for easy of use).
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby hernan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:30 am

The serrato/MP4 and the X-One 3-d are
two differant horses.
but you are abolutely right and you may have just cost me 1900.00$

:-(
hernan

Postby Dj Sean » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:02 am

Hernan, I agree they are different in many ways, in my last comment, I was only referring to Tracktor and Serato.

And I just checked out the link to the new Allen & Heath's 3D mixer.

I found some demo's and all I can say is wow!!!

Ableton is awesome for what it does, I will have to investagate further.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Next

Return to Digital DJ's - Computer Audio, Video & Lighting