It's game time!

Learn from the best in the business.
Topics with high educational content can be started here, or will be moved here from other forums.

Moderator: Dave Miller

It's game time!

Postby audiopulse » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:03 am

Hi everyone....this is Dee, of AudioPulse Mobile DJ Service..Dave's wife.

Since he is sawing logs at the moment and I'm still trying to figure some things out....I just thought I would pop in and see what you might suggest!

We have a corperate christmas party on Dec 10th and they are REALLY into games and they are wanting our input on what they should do. They will have BIG prizes.....TV's and such for their people to win.

We meet with them this week to talk about the game portion of the party and I need all of you to help with this.

What games work for you that aren't geared towards children and they can't be "naughty by nature" even though this is adults only, as some of them are somewhat religious.

An example of what they did last year was....they played "let's make a deal"...from the TV game show. Now i can't come up with anything that can top that. Can you?

I'm stumped!!

Thank you for your input!
audiopulse

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:03 am

Were either of you at the 2005 DJ Expo in Atlantic City? In Randi Rae's Mitzvah Mania session, I demonstrated a game called "Straw Towers". It works well with adults as well as kids.

Teams of about 4 or 5 people. Each team is given a handfull of straws, a roll of masking tape and a flag.

They connect the straws together, then tape them to construct some sort of tower. Attach the flag. The flag is a key part. A flimsy tower may stand on it's own, but add even the little wright of the flag & stick, and a flimsy tower will fall.

The rules are simple: Can't tape the legs to the floor, and no using any helium balloons. The team whose flag is the highest wins. You may want to throw a tape measure in your gig tool bag.

Ahead of time, I build a sample to give people an idea of how to do this. If you imagine a short Eifel Tower, you get the idea. I wish I had a photo.

NOTE: You want non-bendy unwrapped straws, which are impossible to find except at a real restaurant supply. I get 1/2" wide masking tape, 2 for a buck, and 3 for a buck flags at the local dollar store. Get the little flags, about 3"x5", on a stick that is small enough to slip into a straw. I.E. not too heavy, but enough to topple a flimsy tower.

You kinda expect kids to have not much of a concept of engineering or design, and end up building wierd structures - even after you show then your sample. What's really funny is that sometimes you get adults that are equally clueless.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:12 am

There's a free download for the computerized Family Fued game. I don't remember the link, but someone has posted that here before. You might try a search on this forum if you think that's something you'd like to try.

If you're supposed to mosly DJ and only a few games, you might just do "name that tune" type stuff. Play some obscure TV theme songs or what not and see how well people remember them. Brings back fond memories when you can play the theme songs to old TV shows they used to watch many years ago.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:10 pm

DJ Teddy Bear wrote:...I wish I had a photo....
So I made one to show you.

This one is actually larger than the sample I build at events. At events, I usually do it with only 3 legs, 2 straws per leg, 1 flag holder, and the cross-beams close to the floor. This sample is 4 legs, 3 straws per leg, 2 straws for the flag.

I made it larger so it would show up better in the photo. Now that I think of it, next time I'll get opaque straws so the towers at events will also show up good in the client's photos.

This tower uses 18 straws and took about 6 minutes to build....by myself. The top of the flag's gold point is 38" off the floor.
Attachments
straw_tower_1.jpg
(24.7 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
straw_tower_2.jpg
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby DJ Daddy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:51 pm

Dee, Dave.

If you get a chance, give me a call at home later at 816-858-4890.

Ron Keyes
Unplugged & Powered Down
DJ Daddy

Return to DJGold University: Education for Pro Mobile DJ's