Raising Your Rates Over the $1,000 Mark!

Learn from the best in the business.
Topics with high educational content can be started here, or will be moved here from other forums.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Re: Raising Your Rates Over the $1,000 Mark!

Postby Jem-star » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:32 pm

By the way, Scott, how's your arm?
Jeffrey Evan Mufson
Jemstar Entertainment - Tampa, FL
"More Than Just About The Music!"
Jem-star

Postby Screamin' Scott » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:39 pm

Hi Jeff
Cast is off. Lot's of therapy. I can move it pretty good after I work the stiffness out in the morning. I still can't lift the T bar onto my ultimate stand. I have to set it up on the floor and WALK it up because my Martin Starflashes are permenantly connected to the T bar. Thanks for asking.
I shattered my wrist in August and was operated on. Two pins...It was a nasty accident. I have been doing shows solo every weekend since the accident. My Peavey 115 International speakers weigh 96 pounds each.
Thank god I haven't had any stairs!!
Screamin' Scott

Postby DJStuCrew » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:45 pm

There are very few boards / servers that never crash, and losing posts isn't uncommon as well. I'd never judge an organization, business or community because of sloppy servers and / or bad hosting. (How many of us have been there, done that?)
"Support your local DJ: PARTY HARD! PARTY OFTEN!"
DJStuCrew

Postby The Dogman » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:18 am

Screamin' Scott wrote:Hi Jeff
Cast is off. Lot's of therapy. I can move it pretty good after I work the stiffness out in the morning. I still can't lift the T bar onto my ultimate stand. I have to set it up on the floor and WALK it up because my Martin Starflashes are permenantly connected to the T bar. Thanks for asking.
I shattered my wrist in August and was operated on. Two pins...It was a nasty accident. I have been doing shows solo every weekend since the accident. My Peavey 115 International speakers weigh 96 pounds each.
Thank god I haven't had any stairs!!

Every weekend by yourself Scott, seems to me you had help on one of those weekends. LOL
This has been a great thread to read thanks to all. Some really great imformation and ideas to help me along. On June 1st 2004 I started my own dj service, after working 8 years for someone else. I was fortunate to hook up with Screamin Scott who has been a great help to me.
When I decided to go solo I checked my market out for pricing not the bottom and not the top, but $850.00 is a nice starting point. Then this week I tried something I qouted $1200.00 and THEY SAID GREAT LETS DO IT. For 2 days Ive been doing the dj jig in my office( not a pretty site). The reason they said yes is that they had seen me perform and thats what they wanted. WOM IS STILL THE BEST ADVERTISING. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go jig some more.
The Dogman

Postby Michigan DJ » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:21 am

Congrats.

After reading this (as well as several other threads on the subject) I took pricing for weddings off my website.

I have yet to book a gig but I have a lot of traffic thru my site. Maybe someone can tell me what I am missing there.
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby DJStuCrew » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:34 am

While my prices are standardized, I don't put my prices on my site either. For one thing, if you change them, you must remember to update your site. Also, there are always variables. Another thing I'm always explaining to my clients is that my rates cover everything. Some of them don't seem to understand (or maybe they can't believe it). Often they'll see your listed rate as the starting point, and expect to pay for all the extras. I don't do that. I also don't require tips, and promote that.

Even if you're not doing the same things as I'm doing, I'm sure you have your own things that you'd rather discuss with your client then to give them a number that will scare 'em off or give them an unrealistic expectation.
"Support your local DJ: PARTY HARD! PARTY OFTEN!"
DJStuCrew

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 am

To DJ Tommy.. I have also taken my price off my website. In my discussions with my prospects, I delay the price quote until I get all the info on the gig.

I am now asking "have you ever hired a DJ before?" as a
leading question... surprizingly, those who have, described a negative experience !!! Think about it... they wouldn't be calling you if the last DJ was good,,,,The follow up questions revealed some interesting facts
1) they hired a low price DJ that "sounded OK" on the phone then sucked at the gig 2) they hired a company from a friend's recommendation and got some sub-contractor that was nothing like the guy who did the great first party.

When I get either of those scenerios, I explain the differences between a professional DJ and the kind they have heard about... then I ask if they can see why a pro DJ is a bit more expensive but provides the service that the custoimer expects... They say yes and I ask the trial close question " would you like me to start the contract or did you have some additional questions?"

If they say that they have never hired a DJ before .. I ask how important is the music and announcing to the success of the event. Most will say it is very important. Discuss your experience in these areas and share some story about a recent event.. offer a reference or testimonial... have one ready to fax over... even while you are talking on the other line...

Their focus is budget and price oriented... your focus is event fulfillment and customer satisfaction oriented,,,, you both want the same thing (a successful event) and your job is to figure out exactly what they want, convince them that you are worth the asking price (this of course varies ) and get the contract written.

Pricing on the info page (website) is chancy.. you may loose some gigs because your website price may scare away someone who would respond positively to your in-person pitch. You make book at the stated price or you may lose revenue because your selling skills allow you to upsell based on the client and gig parameters...
Good selling... Mark Vincent / New Concepts Entertainment / So Cal.
Mark

Postby Jem-star » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:22 am

Some of us are good at selling on the phone...Some of us are not.

Not everyone can afford to go to the Sandler Sales Institute.

Not everyone can apply the techniques, ideas or inspirations supplied by Zig Ziglar, Tom Quiner, Robb Smith or Dale Carnegie.

Some of us just need more time & experience at it.

Personally, all of the above are true.

So, over the past three years, I've been experimenting with everything.

Currently, my prices are published only via DJ Intell's Price Quote Generator. The prospect has to weed thru my site a bit to find it.
This may tend to Auto-Qualify them, if a reader becomes frustrated, or if the reader finds the Generator, but wishes to continue onto another site after noting the price.

One thing about this Generator, though...It may scare them off at first, but you still get their contact info with another chance to approach them.
---
Whether which technique or idea you try that involves any wholesale changes in your routine, Robb Smith & Sandler suggest that you at least try it for at least three months before you decide it isn't working for you.
Jeffrey Evan Mufson
Jem-star

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:42 am

I recently did an aniversary party where everything was handled via email, except contract via snailmail. Not even a phone call. When I finally met the guy I asked him about that. He said he is a V.P. at a big company and didn't want someone 'sizing him up' for pricing.

Most people feel the same way. That's why ever since I got a web site, my prices were posted. Along with a disclaimer that they may change without notice.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby brett » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:50 am

Most of the companies I've come across provide little or no pricing info via their sites, and I personally dont as well, prefering to discuss details on the phone or in person. Some companies make a client complete an information application(obvious reasons); which then links them to a pricing page. I've found that when a bride has all of your information without ever haven spoken, they are less likely to call back, particulary if you have rates higher than your competitors. What are you charging for your market?
brett

Postby djmc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:39 am

brett wrote:Most of the companies I've come across provide little or no pricing info via their sites, and I personally dont as well, prefering to discuss details on the phone or in person.... What are you charging for your market?

hehehe....IF I TOLD YOU I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU!

actually my prices are (intentionally) ONE-HALF what Randy Bartlett charges (he's 1800, my average wedding is $900)

On the other hand (OTOH), my rates are THREE TIMES what Funtime DJ of Auburn CA charges (they're the Local Yokel Lowballer Hick DJs...LOL)

Every time Randy Bartlett goes up, Sonny Gallardo goes up, then Bob Caudle raises his prices. Then when the Entertainment Team raises their prices, I finally will do the same.

Its called the "trickle down the food chain" in pricing....and I'm happy to be doing business in the Sacramento/Placer market!!!

(Note that in some areas, like Kansas City and other parts of the midwest, the Cheep Lowballer DJs have completely taken over the market)
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby celebrationkc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:02 pm

Michigan DJ wrote:I have yet to book a gig but I have a lot of traffic thru my site. Maybe someone can tell me what I am missing there.

Respectfully, I would encourage you to can the website at tripod.com, if that is what you are doing, looks like it. You don't want your clients that you will be quoting $1200 (yooohooo!) being hammered with popups and ads. Would be best to use a hosting company in the DJ business like ProDJ.com or some of the others. I use ProDJ because I feel comfortable knowing that if I have a problem, the owner is a phone call away.

The biggest part of any success that we've had with our website is the DJ Intelligence www.djintelligence.com. Brides see a little box that says, "Check Our Availability" right on the page, they get sucked in to plug in their date and boom, it says "Congratulations, we have availability for your date!" They fill out the form for more information. It sends the information to my cell phone and email. From the cell phone info, I call them right back, often, they are still on the website and say WOW! That was fast!!! This is such good info, shhhhhh, don't tell my competitors :-)

Joe Martin
celebrationkc

Postby celebrationkc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:05 pm

Michigan DJ wrote:Congrats.

After reading this (as well as several other threads on the subject) I took pricing for weddings off my website.

I have yet to book a gig but I have a lot of traffic thru my site. Maybe someone can tell me what I am missing there.

Dude! I just went to your site and there are 4 ads for other DJ's at the top of your site!!!!

Joe Martin
celebrationkc

Postby celebrationkc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:15 pm

djmc wrote:
brett wrote:(Note that in some areas, like Kansas City and other parts of the midwest, the Cheep Lowballer DJs have completely taken over the market)

Taken over the market, huh, they think that they have. I have a friend that is getting $1500 for weddings. We were getting $795 this last year and now raised our rates to $1000 for today forward. Ever since we raised 'em, business is up! This is in Kansas City. Yes, a local office of a national franchise gets $500 and another well respected multi gets $400, but, the price is going up and up for those of us in the KCADJA.

Joe Martin
Kansas City
celebrationkc

Postby djmc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:20 pm

Hey, glad its not gloom and doom out there in KC......I guess you can't believe what you hear on some of the other boards...LOL
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby celebrationkc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm

djmc wrote:Hey, glad its not gloom and doom out there in KC......I guess you can't believe what you hear on some of the other boards...LOL

Which boards, where do I go? Screamin' Scott sent me here, now I'm sucked in.

I was at $375 before Marc Lanning in Colorado Springs invited me to come see this guy they were bringing in called Mark Ferrell. I drove through the night and went to the meeting. I got out of there on no sleep for 35 hours going gangbusters how I was going to raise my rates. I settled on a jump to $595. We had so many people barking about that price, but we still stood by it and booked some events. Looking back, you know what, we have MORE people booking us today at $1000 (percentage wise) than we did at $595.

There are a lot of DJ's here saying, how are you doing it, I can't get over $600? You know what, I'm NOTHING special. What am I doing,

I go to the conventions and listen, listen, and listen.

I show up at meetings.

We answer the phone (exclusive business line, not home phone) and respond promptly.

Find what you have unique and exploit it. We are a husband and wife single op, we drive that home to the client. My secret weapon is that my wife takes most calls and is able to 'girl chat' with the brides. Gets them everytime. They talk about weddings, decorations, and the such and work on their dreams.

And most of all, I listen to the people who tell me that I'm worth $3000, not the people that tell me that I'm crazy asking for more than $500!!!

I recently heard that a VERY famous local DJ whom I'd guess would get well over $2000, only gets $600 for 5 hours. Talk about an ego trip that won't stop, getting almost double a very famous radio personality!

Another thing that gets me is people who do decide to raise their rates, but by $25 at a time. When people call to hire you for a wedding, chances are, this is their FIRST time hiring you, they don't have a clue what you charged 3 months ago! Raise 'em $200 or so, whatever the market will take.

Joe Martin in KC
celebrationkc

Postby Jem-star » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:59 pm

celebrationkc wrote:Find what you have unique and exploit it. We are a husband and wife single op, we drive that home to the client. My secret weapon is that my wife takes most calls and is able to 'girl chat' with the brides. Gets them everytime. They talk about weddings, decorations, and the such and work on their dreams.

God...I wish I could get my wife of 20 years to do that. She's got too much on her mind.
celebrationkc wrote:Another thing that gets me is people who do decide to raise their rates, but by $25 at a time. When people call to hire you for a wedding, chances are, this is their FIRST time hiring you, they don't have a clue what you charged 3 months ago! Raise 'em $200 or so, whatever the market will take.
Here's some advice I got from Robb Smith of F.A.M.E.: You don't HAVE to raise your rates wholesale straight up to $1200 as Ferrell may seem to suggest...Raise your rates in increments. $50 to $100 at a time, either per quarter, half or year. Once again...It's how you feel about yourself. It's how much do you think YOU'RE worth. Sometimes, it's not always going to be what you think you can get.
Jeffrey Evan Mufson
Jem-star

Postby brett » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:05 pm

For those of you who havent yet made the leap to raise your rates or are looking to how to justify a signifigant price increase, take at loo kthe companies that are higher and see what they've done. I've seen MANY websites that reflect the low rates that many DJ companies charge. For many of us, our webpages are the first opportunity brides have to see what were all about. The spinning CD or flashy music note on your homepage isnt going to cut it anymore.
brett

Postby celebrationkc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:11 pm

Jem-star wrote:Once again...It's how you feel about yourself. It's how much do you think YOU'RE worth. Sometimes, it's not always going to be what you think you can get.

Ditto that, it's been easy to take $200 steps for us. There is another husband/wife team here in the KCADJA that just started DJing just over a year ago. They were at $400 and discounting heavily from that! We talked to them over coffee one night and I told him, when you meet with your next client, find what it is that they are wanting, show them what you are going to do for them to fill that need/want, then say that it will be $800! No matter what. He agreed. He called me a couple of days later and told me that the client booked them! He was SO excited. Guess what, to my knowledge, they're not booking for under $800.

I've been telling people when they are Ferrellizing, just set the price and say it! You'd be surprised how many will take.

Joe Martin
celebrationkc

Postby celebrationkc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:17 pm

brett wrote:The spinning CD or flashy music note on your homepage isnt going to cut it anymore.

That's the quote of the day! I love it!!! It's about the feelings and emotions! I know that it is not a guy thing, at least ...... well, you know what I'm talking about!
celebrationkc

PreviousNext

Return to DJGold University: Education for Pro Mobile DJ's