Crossover Talk

Learn from the best in the business.
Topics with high educational content can be started here, or will be moved here from other forums.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Crossover Talk

Postby djconroy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:29 pm

Another tech question, this time regarding crossover/wiring configuration.

Let's say I've got 2 500W 8ohm subs and 2 400W 8ohm mains, and I want to run them off a single amp (for argument's sake, I've got a PLX3602 that'll push 1250W/channel at 4ohms).

What type of crossover and wiring configuration would you recommend?

To me, this looks like a dual mono setup with subs on one channel and mains on another... Is that an unusual config?

Will your standard crossover handle this or would I need something like a Peavey VSX or dbx Driverack (I'd love all those features in 1U if I can find an excuse)? Seems like most crossovers output mono on one channel for subs, but don't offer mono or summed high outs.
djconroy

Postby TheBartman47 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:13 am

With 1,250 watts per channel into 4 ohms, putting 2 subs on one channel and two tops on the other channel will result in each speaker getting 625 watts. This is a little over your speaker ratings, but should be ok if you're careful, and yes, using one amp in a bi-amp mono system configuration is quite common too.
As for the Peavey VSX or dbx Driverack, these would probably be overkill for this application. Now, if you went tri-amped, then yes, that would definately be the way to go. But, for your setup, you might consider the Peavey Kosmos which will not only give you an independently controlled subwoofer output, but also greatly enhances the sound by giving more depth and punch to the lows, plus presence and clarity to the highs.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Return to DJGold University: Education for Pro Mobile DJ's