Cancelled gig Retainer Fee Question

Learn from the best in the business.
Topics with high educational content can be started here, or will be moved here from other forums.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Cancelled gig Retainer Fee Question

Postby AzPartyPleasers » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:47 pm

Hey all! Long time no post! Been busy, kinda dissapeared for a little, but im still around.

Here's a question im sure not many of us have to face, but it has just happened to me. I want an opinion on what you would do.

Booked a job for this saturday, over 2 months ago. Signed contract, took a $100 retainer fee. It is clearly stated in my contract that any changes or cancellations to the agreed date will result in a loss of the retainer fee.

Client called me monday and cancelled. Said not enough people bought tickets to the event.

WOULD YOU: Keep the retainer, but re-apply it to another date, once they decide to reschedule?

Or would you pocket the $100 and take the wife out for once on a weekend night now that you arent working?

I am considering being civil and reapplying the retainer to his new date, but i want to give him a timeframe.. i dont want him to sit on this for 3-6months before rescheduling.

What would you do/do you do? In this scenario??

TIA!

-- Matty
Matthew Stutz AZPP Entertainment Owner, Scottsdale, AZ
AzPartyPleasers

Postby TheBartman47 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:08 pm

I've only had to do this once, but I gave them 6 months to re-book just to be nice even though it was completely in my rights to keep the retainer and offer no alternatives.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby JR » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:23 pm

To me, the idea of the retainer is to serve as a small compensation for turning down possible or future opportunities on the same date in the event the client should cancel. For that reason, I wouldn’t return (or apply to an ensuing event) the existing retainer.

I would neither give someone a second opportunity to cause me to decline future business without an additional retainer. And with that in mind, if I booked him again, I would seriously consider doubling the retainer.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:32 pm

Keep the retainer but you can be a nice guy and offer to roll it to a re-scheduled date, subject to availability.
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby AzPartyPleasers » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:02 pm

thanks for the very timely responses gentlemen! I just got off the phone with the client, and we dont have to worry about re-applying it, as they have decided not to rebook and are cancelling completely. They had the dance advertised for 3 weeks and only had 18 people rsvp, not enough to cover any of the costs. What a shame! Makes me think i should start pitching advertising aid as well as just dj services.
Matthew Stutz AZPP Entertainment Owner, Scottsdale, AZ
AzPartyPleasers

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:16 pm

My contract says that not only do I keep the retainer, but I'm owed the full balance.

It only happened once. Wedding booked about 1 1/2 years out. Cancelled 2 weeks prior. Got my full balance a month later. The only *offer* I provided was to keep my old prices should they re-book

A couple weeks later, they did just that. Ca-ching!
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djdonny » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:34 am

Wow, good for you Bear. I guess they had no hard feelings!

Here's my cancellation / postponement policy:

(a) If the client cancels MORE THAN 1 MONTH prior to the event date, Sound Sensation keeps the non-refundable retainer, but will not hold the client responsible for the remaining balance.

(b) If the client cancels WITHIN 1 MONTH of the event date, the client is responsible for the entire balance. However, the entire balance, less the non-refundable retainer, may be credited towards any future date within six months of the cancelled event date, subject to availability.

(c) If the client cancels WITHIN 24 HOURS of the start time of the event, the client is responsible for the entire balance. Sound Sensation will NOT credit any payment towards a postponement date if an event is cancelled within 24 hours of the start time.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby At Last Productions » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:04 am

Do any of you give hardship exceptions? I live in a town that has alot of Military and run the risk of deployment of clients. I do require proof of deployment or other hardships before I make any refund considerations. Have any of you had this problem and what did you do?
At Last Productions

Postby JR » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:14 am

As for me, military has always been given special consideration. And hardship cases, such as you mentioned, are no exception. Similarly, I also require authentication. Never know when someone might try to slip one by you eh?
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:00 pm

We also give an exception for military deployment!
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Return to DJGold University: Education for Pro Mobile DJ's