What is your most embarassing Wedding DJ moment ever???

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby audiopulse » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:03 pm

AAAHHH!!! The things we do to book a gig.. LOL

Just think, 6 months ago I was ready to hang'r up and sell out... how can one walk away from all this FUN!!! :hahaha:
audiopulse

Re: What is your most embarassing Wedding DJ moment ever???

Postby djrik » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:55 pm

Introduced an Aultistic child who was the honorary ring bearer as "The Honorary Pall Bearer". I will never forget that one. This happened at The Mountain Lake Hotel, Home of "Dirty Dancing"
» Rick Pruett
DJ Rick Pruett
djrik

Postby djwak59 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:25 am

Hi all,

I don't really know if I'd consider this an embarassing moment or DJ horror story.

Years ago I was working for a multi-op guy and he sent me to my first Black/African Am. wedding. I had not played this hall before.

I pull up, look in the doors and see a ceremony going on. Hmmmm, the boss didn't say anything about a ceremony(?) So, I start to unload out in the hallway so that when the ceremony's over, I can get my stuff in and set up. I look at my watch and I know I'm on time but, what's with the ceremony goin' on?

Anyway, the ceremony ends and I start luggin' the gear in. Guests start asking me "where've you been?" and "you're late" What??? I'm on time! Then it gets weirder....Two guys in a pick up show up and start unloading gear too! Other DJs....What the???

I ask the other DJs what's up, they say they were called at the last minute 'cus a DJ didn't show up! Wait a minute....I'm here and on time!

Then I start thinkin' "am I in the right place?" Yes I am, "right day?" yes. Alright then...what the?

I ask the maitre'd if he knows what's goin' on and he checks his schedule, keep in mind, I've never played this hall before. I find out..... I'M IN THE WRONG ROOM!!!!

The hall is set up with an entrance at each opposite end of the building. I pull up, look in the first door I see, I see a Black couple in their ceremony, I'd say I'm in the right place. I had no idea there were two rooms and two Black weddings going on in the same building.

The good thing was, I had just enough time left to load my stuff back into my truck, get it to the other room, and get set up for the job! The couple I was to play for was none the wiser.

I look back now, years later, and realize, I really learned alot from that job.

See ya.
djwak59

Postby CJ Greiner » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:00 am

Wrong room? Ouch!

At least it wasn't the wrong venue! :D
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby djwak59 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:46 pm

Yeah...same hall, wrong room.

This place was set up so that in order to get from one room to the other, you had to leave the building, go all the way around to the opposite end, and go into that room! I never played at a place set up like that before and haven't since.

See ya.
djwak59

Postby Wolfie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:57 pm

Greets, guys.

Mispronounce names during the intros? Yup.

Called the wrong names? Oh yeah.

Played the wrong song at the right time? Yep, we've done that.

Not that we're proud of these flubs... but we're honest at least.

I guess the most embarassing flub of all was the night I made a joke on the mic when the B&G slipped and fell on the dance floor. They were floundering around... all I could see was legs and arms. As I recall I said something to the effect of being in the "honeymoon position". They finally got up and hobbled back to their chairs. Seeing this, I got the impression that something wasn't right but I dismissed it as alcohol-related.

The guests roared when I made the remark but I caught hell from the bride's Mom later. Man, did she read me the riot act over that one. Evidently, the groom had back troubles -- slipped disc or some such. He was feeling some serious pain. Everyone but Wolfie knew about his condition.

So much for honeymoon fun.

Lesson learned. :)
Fred and Shirl - Night Wolf Entertainment
National Membership Director, USODJA.

Wolfie

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:46 pm

I had a situation once where I played the right song at the right time, but the B&G were not in the right place. The instructions I got were right after the first dance, they would go to cut the cake, and I was to play a certain song for that. So, I had that song to play directly after the first dance, but they didn't go over to cut the cake. So, I just let it keep playing, but all they did was mill around talking to guests. After about 4-5 more songs, then they decide to cut the cake. I was already in the middle of a song when they started, so I just lowered the volume and they did their thing. No one said anything about it to me and I don't know if they even really paid much attention after first dance anyway. This was back in early September, outdoor, and was very hot and humid. Not much dancing at all by anyone really.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djdonny » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:35 am

First, that seems like an odd time to cut the cake. But anyway, if that was the schedule, why not introduce the cake-cutting by inviting the B&G to the cake first (I use an instrumental "bride cuts the cake" for this), then switch to their cake cutting song when they get there?
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:53 pm

djdonny wrote:why not introduce the cake-cutting by inviting the B&G to the cake first (I use an instrumental "bride cuts the cake" for this), then switch to their cake cutting song when they get there?

I've been using "Cut The Cake" (Average White Band) for this purpose.

Once they arrive at the cake table, I play their selected cake song.
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djdonny » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:29 pm

"Cut the Cake" is a good choice too. The instrumental I use is actually on a Bobby Morgenstein CD -- it's a jazzy version. It's recognizable enough that guests know the cake cutting is about to happen, but not the typical sing-a-long version that is sometimes played during the cake cutting.
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby DJ Scott » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:39 pm

Thought of another one. (always check through your paperwork ahead of time)
I was reading from a cheat sheet Diana makes for every event. (word for word in this case)
She had the brides maiden name down as I introduced our bride and groom.
The people standing next to me says, That's not thier name.
I thought VERY quickly (although it seemed an eternity) and said...
AAAAH,....Good....you caught that.
It's now mr and mrs...whatever it was. Everybody chuckled and the rest of the night went fine.
Gotta think on your feet in this business.
Scott McKinney
Solid Sound Entertainment
Loveland, CO.
www.solidsoundentertainment.com
www.solidsoundbubbleparties.com
DJ Scott

Postby DJ Iron Mike » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:18 pm

Mine was when my computer lost the partition on the hard drive.

I had to tear down the hard drive re-partition it and get it back up and running by the end of the show. Thank God for back up systems.
I kept the music rolling while I literally rebuilt this computer.
"Iron" Mike Burke
President of NACDJ
Imagehttp://www.nacdjs.org
DJ Iron Mike
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Location: In the Set of "Gods & Generals" - Fredericksburg VA

Re: What is your most embarassing DJ moment ever???

Postby LYoung116 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:36 pm

I went to sit down on the stool behind the DJ table (without looking backwards), and it was further back than I thought (I landed on the floor). They had a nice laugh over that one!
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby DoSS » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:09 pm

Got one that I won't ever forget and makes me think twice about people behind the booth. Was doing a pretty typical wedding, everything went smooth, everyone had a blast, all typical stuff. Near the end of the night, the bride was well beyond trashed, she comes back behind the booth, tells me good job and thanks, and then gets a weird look. Then just pukes right at my feet, and to top things off, passes out right after. So, here I am, still have a few people dancing, and I'm holding the bride in her own puke.

Classic.
DoSS

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:44 pm

ugggh, at least she didn't puke right on your electronics. That could have been disasterous.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby djrik » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:54 am

Had a wedding at Mountain Lake Hotel (Dirty Dancing movie location). Had a young gentleman that was austistic, he was inserted into the bridal party line-up at the last moment. When it came time to intro him, what came out was "His Name, who is our honorary pall bearer" Of course it should of been "ring bearer". Only got worse from there. Most of the family had been staying at the Hotel all week. On thurs. one of the grooms aunt's had passed away while staying on the mountaim. Rest of the evening was very cold.
» Rick Pruett
DJ Rick Pruett
djrik

Postby Lynchy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:29 am

I've posted this story on other topics, but it belongs here NO DOUBT...

Background: During the booking phase bride only wants to book a 3 hour reception. I discourage this as best I can explaining that there won't be enough time to get everything done and still have time for dancing. She disagrees and states that everything is "scheduled". Jump ahead to the face to face ... again I explain that 3 hours will be tight and the lest amount of time she should book is 4 hours. She gets ugly with me and accuses me of trying to milk her for more money. If the contract wasn't all said and done I would have walked right there ... but, well ... the story gets better.

JUMP AHEAD 2 and a half hours into the reception and the B&G are just finishing up their 1st dance. They return to their table and I approach to ask if they would like to add an another hour. THE POOP HITS THE FAN! The bride starts crying and SCREAMING at me that I am ruining her day. Mind you music is still playing low volume so EVERYONE can hear her. ENTER FOB... he starts yelling at me and makes comments like "I told my daughter you would try to get more money out of today ... it's not our fault you took 3 hours to get all the s&&t done" AND THEN WHIPS OUT THE CHECK BOOK and yells "how much is it gonna cost me to try and save my daughters day that you have ruined?".

At this point the entire room is watching us so I decide to use the time and try to save myself as best I can. I explain that I had discussed this with the bride both when she booked me AND during the face to face. I don't think anything I said at this point was going to matter. I explained it was "X" amount for the additional hour. FOB cuts a check all the while tearing me up.

Longest hour of my life right there. No one danced, tension was thick and to top it off FOB stopped payment on the check. We had a few heated phone conversations and then I decided it wasn't worth it and dropped it as a lesson learned.
Lynchy

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:21 am

Should have waited 'till it was right at 3 hours instead of only 2.5 hours into it. If everyone was still partying, then they might have approached you to ask for more time instead.

Also, another good reason to offer package deals instead of "charging by the hour".

And on a legal note, if someone writes you a check for services rendered and then stops payment on the check, you can in fact take it to the DA in the county you received said check and file it with them and they'll go get your money plus you can include a $25 return check fee. However, at this point, sounds like it's probably best to let bygones be bygones.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby dokai » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:04 pm

Lynchy wrote:She disagrees and states that everything is "scheduled".

Did she provide you with a copy of her "schedule"? If not, how are you supposed to comply with it? Just goes to show that when your instinct tells you to run, it's usually a good idea. This bride was trouble from the start!
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Lynchy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:33 am

Oh believe me when I tell ya .... I was educated after that day.

I don't mention a dang thing about the ending being near any more. What I do now is get set up for the last dance at about 10 of and if they want to add more time they can let me know then. At that point I continue with their "last dance" and let the crowd know that the B&G are enjoying their company so much they would like to invite everyone to stay a little longer (or something cheesy like that). I also have a clause in my contract that says you may/may not extend your time. I added this because of Saturday double bookings. If their wedding is scheduled to end at 4 and i have another one starting at 6 I gotta be out of there at 4, and I lay that all on the line during the face to face. I work hard to accomodate the B&G up to and during their reception, the last thing I ever want to have happen again is have all that hard work tossed away by a "misunderstanding".

Oh and to answer the questions... yes I got a copy of the "schedule" ... hand written on a note pad. No surprise, but it wasn't even CLOSE to the actual events.

And yes I could have pursued the check thing, but at that point I had felt it had used up too much of my energy and wasn't worth the hassle.
Lynchy

PreviousNext

Return to Weddings & Formal Events