What is your most embarassing Wedding DJ moment ever???

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby yourdjbuddy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 am

In my contract it says that overtime is not guaranteed so I stay pretty safe there.

If I had already been snapped at about time, not only would I have not offered the extra hour, I probably would have refused it if asked.
At Anderson Entertainment, we care about your event, and it shows! Visit us on the web at: www.anderson-entertainment.com
yourdjbuddy

Re: What is your most embarassing Wedding DJ moment ever???

Postby MrMusic » Fri May 12, 2006 7:53 am

I usually like to mention during the last hour how much time is left. Say the dance is scheduled to end at 11, at around 10 I'll say "it looks like we have about another hour left, so if anyone has any last few requests, please let me know so I can play them for you before the night is up." Then around 10:30 I'll mention that there's about 30 minutes left... This lets everyone know that the dance is coming to an end, and if they want me to continue playing, they'll come up to me and tell me so - and then we can work out how many more hours and what it'll cost.

On a side note, one thing that I've found to be successful is if the B&G and/or guests want more hours of music, is to have someone go around (with a bucket or something if they want) and collect a few bucks from whomever they can and pay for the extra music time that way.

Just make sure that it's okay with the dance hall if you can play longer than what you've been contracted for - they might be planning on closing the place at 11, but they're paying you to play until midnight. I did have a situation where I had a great/fun bunch of people come up to me with an extra $200 (that everyone had donated) in cash for 2 more hours, but the hall was closing in an hour and they HAD to be out of there by then. Now what? How do you give that money back to the random people?!! Who knows who donated what? Thankfully one of the bridesmaids suggested we give the extra $100 to the B&G as a honeymoon gift - excellent idea! I mentioned that on the mic, everyone cheered, I played for one more hour - and received one of the greatest letters/compiments from one of my clients. I'll never forget that night!
MrMusic

Re: What is your most embarassing Wedding DJ moment ever???

Postby pjlowe » Fri May 12, 2006 8:05 am

I split my pants while doing a dance move at a wedding! That was many long years ago. Had a second pair of pants in the car.Whew!
pj the dj
Entertainment that Exceeds your Expectations
pjlowe

Previous

Return to Weddings & Formal Events