Replaced as emcee by a Family Member???

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Replaced as emcee by a Family Member???

Postby djmc » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:19 am

After nearly two decades of this business.......it finally happened to me!

I WAS REPLACED......lol :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

Actually, this was discussed beforehand but I didn't really think much about it......after all, it was an Asian wedding and they nearly always have someone speaking in their native language as a "co-emcee"

This time, the "co-emcee" turned out to be a close friend of the family, and he was going to speak in ENGLISH.

During the entire dinner, and reception.....the Emcee handled the Grand Entrance, the table release for the buffet, the special dances, the toasting and speech introductions......EVERYTHING!

It was almost like a Paid Vacation.......all I had to do was push "play" during the entire reception.

Oh yeah, I did set up a separate sound system for the ceremony and we did get to play nearly 2 hours of dance music!

Unfortunately, this fellow was from Los Angeles........otherwise I would have hired him on the spot.....he was that good!!!
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:07 pm

A paid vacation... pretty rare in the DJ business!

:lol:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Replaced as emcee by a Family Member???

Postby Michigan DJ » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:52 am

If he was really THAT good...maybe you should not let him go. I am sure you get requests for LA area events right? Scoop him up before someone else does!
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby MusicDoctorDJ » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:48 am

WHAT!

A press and play DJ for the night!

20 lashes with a wet noodle for you! :wink:
John M. Daniels
Music Doctor DJ & Photo
Thornton, Colorado

MusicDoctorDJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby LYoung116 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:53 pm

Martin's Eastwind, Martin's West, Michael's 8th Ave, and La Fountaine Bleu always do their own emceeing. Only once did a family member do the announcing (I could have done better).
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:54 pm

i have been "replaced" 2 times (another scheduled) both were cases when the older family does not speak english as a first language (asian) i would have struggled greatly with the names. they both opted for the uncle. on the cake cutting, toss, garter and toast i announced those myself. no problems.......
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Toneman » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:21 pm

For any event, If the client wants someone from there family or a friend to handle the emceeing, I let them. This makes it easier for me. I don't have to struggle with names or be interupted during the time I'm speaking on the mic. I'm being paid the same so I will enjoy a night of just "Pushing Play".
Toneman
Toneman

Postby jwg » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:25 pm

Have a reception in December where the Bride is Nigerian and the Groom is from Jamaica. Several tricky names to pronounce in the Bridal Party and family. Suggested to the B&G during one of our consultations last week that a family member or friend do the Introductions. They were fine with that.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby DuneTunes » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:56 pm

I recently had this happen for the first time in 26 years. The Bride insisted their friend would introduce the bridal party. I point blank asked if he had experience, they swore he had done it "tons of times".

He was awful. Poor grammer, bad timing, kept say "ALRIGHT", and "UMMM" on the mic. He was also directing by microphone, calling the bride and groom and parents on the mic to line up, telling guests "okay, people, settle down now so you can hear me or I won't start" - I was mortified.

For some reason he then thought he was the "emcee for the evening" and tried to take over, kept asking for the mic to announce this event or that. (there was no way I was going to allow him to have the microphone again).

I had to politely explain to him his portion of the evening was finished, thanked him profusely for his help, and told him to go enjoy the party. He got his knickers in a twist, but I had to draw the line.

If anyone ever suggests this to me again, I will be sure to have lessons and a run-through, no matter how instistent the B&G are of their announcer's experience. (unless it is a venue like mentioned above, I'd guess they had done it a time or two).
DuneTunes

Return to Weddings & Formal Events