What Kind Of Brides Do You Get?

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

What Kind Of Brides Do You Get?

Postby Dan Zynda, Mobile Music » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:17 am

I was talking to another DJ that is 2 markets north of me. Both of us specifically cater to destination brides.

His wife and I are both keeping the brides on the phone for an extended time, talking about all aspects of the wedding, reception and different details. I believe both of us are mainly selecting the right vendors for them and giving them helpful hints.

He is doing Randy Bartletts' love story for most of his clients. The face-to-face consultations last about 2 hours.

Most of my work is done via email, DJIntelligence, phone calls. Many of the brides do not want talk or have meeting with their DJ.

What kind of brides do you usually get?
Dan Zynda, Mobile Music

Re: What Kind Of Brides Do You Get?

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:42 am

for me it's about 50/50...
I used to do alot of the Starbucks meetings as a introduction to gain service. But it seems lately that many will book online, complete all the DJINTELLIGENCE planner/request forms, and we then schedule a meeting about 2 weeks prior to the big day. I always (when possible) prefer to meet the B&G before the big day. This way you can look into her eyes and see the things that really are important to her. You also get more referals this way. The whole personal service thing goes a long way! :lol:
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby jwg » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:42 am

I am requesting and most of my brides agree it's important to have a face-to-face meeting to go over the formalities, last minute changes, music selections etc.

I have even found that requesting a face-to-face meeting PRIOR to signing an agreement that I get that wedding reception over 90% of the time.
Many times (pre-contract) and, if it's a final meeting before the reception, I can utilize one of the 'hot spots' popping up around the country and show them my website or fill everything out online.

I also started doing the love stories this year. In fact, the one I am doing today has about 8 different pieces of music in a 3 minute period.

The only time I find that booking is not successful is if they email me looking for a price quote, no street address to mail more info, and they are purely looking for a price quote.

David, I checked out your site and noticed that anyone can access your DJ Intelligence forms and make selections in your database. I don't know about you but in the last year I have had several people fill out a reception planner or make selections in the music database...AND THEY WEREN'T EVEN MY CLIENTS!. So, I went the client login area route. It's easy to setup and so far no complaints.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dan Zynda, Mobile Music » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:28 am

I have the forms for DJIntelligence out in the open too.

Are the meetings with local or destination brides? It's hard to find the time in their limited planning trips to swap info. I'm usually limited to Friday mornings/early afternoons or Sundays. They use their time for tasting, photographer interviewing, etc.
Dan Zynda, Mobile Music

Postby jwg » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:00 pm

Dan:

The pre-booking meetings are with local brides for the most part. There are some out of town brides, originally from Erie, who like to meet me first. But the out of town percentage is small.

The pre-reception meetings are with local and out of towners. Sometimes with the out of towners, where I am traveling out of town to do a reception,
we'll meet halfway between Erie and where the B&G live.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:29 pm

jwg wrote:
David, I checked out your site and noticed that anyone can access your DJ Intelligence forms and make selections in your database. I don't know about you but in the last year I have had several people fill out a reception planner or make selections in the music database...AND THEY WEREN'T EVEN MY CLIENTS!. So, I went the client login area route. It's easy to setup and so far no complaints.

After reading some replies to a thread on this forum about -client log in- pro's and cons, i have decided to go with the log in process. If for no other reason to make the client feel more secure. I still have 2 direct links up on my site because i have not contacted all my clients currently under contract to inform them and assign passwords.

But ... i agree that meeting face to face has no drawbacks. time is the only thing you lose and depeding on the distance -GAS-
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:56 am

I'm getting about 50/50 between brides who want to meet in person, and brides who want to do everything online/by phone.

Either way, I've had plenty of success with the planning process using WeDJ Gigbuilder (which is similar to DJ Inteligence)
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Michigan DJ » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:35 am

We get a LOT of destination brides in my area.
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby leightonz » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:03 pm

Like most of you my meetings are about 50/50. I use to meet at our local Tim Horton's not thinking. This year I've invited them into my business office for the travel agency. I don't like the home meeting myself. I have actually come up with a couple of honeymoon packages this way too. I do have a couple of questions Destination Brides? and Jwg wrote Love Stories?
leightonz

Postby djmc » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:56 am

leightonz wrote: I do have a couple of questions Destination Brides? and Jwg wrote Love Stories?

DESTINATION BRIDE = a bride who is from out of town, and is planning her wedding at a "Destination Resort"

examples of Destination resorts include:

Lake Tahoe, California
Coastal Maine
Niagra Falls, NY
etc.

Most destination brides work by phone or e-mail. They don't have time to meet in person, and their time is limited. Many don't even see the DJ until their wedding day!

LOVE STORY = a pre-recorded or pre-planned vignette at the wedding which is done with either Slide Shows, Pre-Recorded sound bites, background music, or all of the above. It is basically one of those "Here is Your Life" type of things....
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby leightonz » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:52 pm

You learn something new everyday.

DJMC. The love stories. Is this something the bride puts together for the reception or is it just pictures from through out the night put together into a slide show? I had a MOB over the weekend. Father passed away last year and she couldn't get through her speech to her daughter. So I downloaded it on to my personel computer and played it throught the system with In My Daughter's Eye's playing behind it. Thanks again for the info. I can see clearly now.
leightonz

Postby CJ Greiner » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:51 am

leightonz wrote:You learn something new everyday.

DJMC. The love stories. Is this something the bride puts together for the reception or is it just pictures from through out the night put together into a slide show? I had a MOB over the weekend. Father passed away last year and she couldn't get through her speech to her daughter. So I downloaded it on to my personal computer and played it through the system with In My Daughter's Eye's playing behind it. Thanks again for the info. I can see clearly now.

For DJs, Love Stories == The MarBecca Method - Part One - The Love Story
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby DJ Iron Mike » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:09 pm

I seem to always get the penny pinchers. They always go for Mr. Bottom feeder on the other side of town because I charge real rates for my area. The Brides I do get have distinctive tastes in music and know I have what Mr. Bottom Feeder doesn't, and that's decency.
"Iron" Mike Burke
President of NACDJ
Imagehttp://www.nacdjs.org
DJ Iron Mike
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Location: In the Set of "Gods & Generals" - Fredericksburg VA

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:21 am

I don't get the penny pincher, but that probably has a lot to do with my prices being towards the top of every page on my site now. I am thinking about taking my price off to see how many inquiries I will get.

My brides usually want to do most of their planning themselves. They tend to be college educated and relatively affluent. All of them are weary of wedding DJs and are usually surprised at how pleasant our discussions are. I do a good job of mostly sitting and listening. The brides like that.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Return to Weddings & Formal Events