How many times have you heard this???

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

How many times have you heard this???

Postby jwg » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:39 pm

Inquiring minds want to know....

Bride calls and says... "Yes I am looking for a DJ and am calling around about prices."

LOL I swear I have heard the same question verbatim from hundreds of brides. Is there a place they download a script??
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:53 pm

:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

Yep.... I guess they think all DJ services provide the same level of service... so the cheapest DJ wins?

-------------------
When they ask that question, I counter with:

"Well, we have several DJ's available. Do you want a cheap one, or a good one? I'll be glad to find someone for you that fits your budget..."

I'll go into a few more questions that have to do with how many people she's inviting, how long the event will be, where it's being held...

Then I ask her a few "imagery" questions about how she imagines it will be, what she wants her guests to think, how she pictures her event: more formal and stuffy, or does she want people to be able to relax, have fun and dance...

By the time she's done describing her dream wedding reception, I've allowed her to convince herself that the entertainment is pretty important...

Then I sell them on MY service and rates and what a great deal it is!

------------------
That's the "ideal" scenario -- but sometimes they really do just want a human jukebox -- and the kid down the street with his dad's stereo and a few CD's will probably suit them just fine!
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: How many times have you heard this???

Postby DJ Drew » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:55 pm

Actually it is one of those national bride magazines we got a copy of it and we just play along and go through the questions. They stopped publishing it after DJ's started complaining about it.
Relax and dance the night away, knowing we are in charge.
DJ Drew

Postby djmc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:13 pm

Quit advertising in the Yellow Pages, and those annoying calls will stop!
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby jwg » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:29 pm

But I DON'T advertise ... it's a free one line listing in the YP. That's the reason I QUIT advertising...calls like that.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

How many times have your heard

Postby Diana McKinney » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:22 am

What question do you ask when you don't know what else to ask? What questions can you ask that immediately give you easily comparable information?

The majority of our clients have never booked a DJ before. Because a wedding is so very "me" centered it doesn't even occur to her that you may not be available. To ask if you are open doesn't enter her mind. Same with corporate gigs, I work for such and such company and we are so big that you must be available for our date, right?

What we as an industry need to do is educate the potential client as to the questions they need to ask. The best way to do this is work with the bridal magazines to get the word out. And we need to educate the bridal magazines as to the real questions that need to be asked.

Sure, it's nice to know if your DJ has insurance but how about asking what the DJ sees as his role in your event? Can I meet the DJ who will be doing my event rather than a salesperson, before I sign on the dotted line? How would you handle an inappropriate song request from one of my guests? etc.

The client really needs to start establishing a relationship with the DJ. Is she/he getting good "vibes". I find that generally, if I can get a bride to laugh with me, then I can book her. A corporate client needs to know that when they hire you, their boss will be impressed that they found such a great entertainer.

So back to the original statement: What question do you ask when you don't know what else to ask? Our job is to help them discover what other questions to ask. Truth be told, there have been days when I never should have answered the phone because when that bride asked me "What do you charge?" I just wanted to bite her head off for asking such an inane question.

Hey, thanks for letting me pitch in my 2 cents. I feel better now.
Diana McKinney

Postby Michigan DJ » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:00 am

I've heard it quite a bit, no yellow page ad here for me either.

Diana, great post...worth almost 10 cents. The biggest problem we have is that none of us have an "IN" with any of these bridal magazines. I can't afford to advertise with them at all, so they probably don't care about my angle on things.

It seems to me that all oif the DJ questions they post are geared towards the HUGE Multi-ops that CAN afford to advertise with them.

Curious as to whether or not the ADJA or NAME (as non-profits) could get some advertising space, or possibly a story with OUR spin on it.
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:04 pm

One of the things ADJA does is try to educate the bridal magazine editors. Don't know how successful they are.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Michigan DJ » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:32 am

Not very...the same problems keep coming up.

:?
Thomas (DJ Tommy B) Heath
A+ Digital DJs
http://www.aplusdigitaldjs.com
http://digitaldjs.djgold.com
Michigan DJ
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Diana McKinney » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:55 am

Education of the populous doesn't happen in one day. Each year we have a new crop of brides. Until we have educated an entire generation we will not be seeing many changes. Even then it may take two generations before we truly see brides asking different questions. We must not stop trying to reach brides (or any potential client) just because we are not seeing immediate results.

We must continue to pursue intelligent articles in wedding magazines but as individual DJs there is something we can do also. Many of us, especially in smaller towns, have a local newspaper that puts out a bridal tab. As experts in our industry we can submit articles with useful information that will help brides to understand what they need to be thinking about. If you cannot write then contact ADJA, NAME, or someone in Vegas. The information already exists, it just needs to be submitted.
Diana McKinney

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:36 am

I just tell them my prices. I have had one couple hire me because my price was so low ($900 at the time) and several callers pass me up because I was so expensive ($500 at the time).

When the B&G don't know how much a DJ costs, calling around will help them get a price. I want them to know two things. First, there is a range of prices for DJs. Second, DJs will charge whatever clients in general will pay for their services.

I think that I'll write something for a local paper around valentines day.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Postby Hey-Mr.DJ » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:37 am

I always just asked questions, after asking the customer if they minded me taking notes. That demonstrated that I was actually listening to the answers and acting on them.

Asking lots, and I mean, lots of questions also shows the customer that I am aware of the myriad things that are important to us in the DJ community. Most of them will surprise the B&G, since price is the main (in their eyes) question that needs to be answered. It shows professionalism and attention to detail. Let's face it, most brides have the scalloped edging on their invitations planned to the Nth degree, so showing a similar dilligence in your business always goes down well.

All of these questions are designed for one main reason - to take price out of the equation. If after answering all your questions, you are able to plot out exactly what they are looking for, then they have a decision. Is your price of $X good value for giving them the night they really want?

If the reply is "yes" then I always ask for a committment to save the date. After all, it's one less thing to worry about, and aside from some communication between yourself and the couple, they can score entertainment off the list as now in your capable hands.

If they in any way hesitate, then you know there is something you haven't covered that they are still concerned about. Ask more questions - communication is what sets good DJs apart from bad DJs, I believe.

If I get interrupted early on in the process, with comments like, "I haven't got time for this, can you just give me your price", then I realise I'm wasting my time.
Anyone who sets out to find information without the time it takes to get it, will either waste your time, or will be a terrible client in other ways, in my experience. I just quote my optimum price and wait for the inevitable excuse to get off the phone.

Remember: You have a value, not everyone is going to appreciate that, but then not every customer is necessarily right for you. Be prepared to walk away from customers who don't value your talent, time or expertise.
Hey-Mr.DJ

Return to Weddings & Formal Events