What is your Wedding DJ Philosophy??

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

What is your Wedding DJ Philosophy??

Postby audiopulse » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:32 am

Hi all.. I got this lead the other day and this is the first time I have been asked this question... I answered her email and booked the gig.. NOW.. how would YOU answer this question?? what is YOUR Wedding DJ Philosophy??

Here is the Lead...

Audio Pulse Digital Mobile DJ Service
Reservation Request

Type of Event: Wedding
Event Date: Saturday, August 6, 2005

Customer Information
Client Name: Jill ------------
Telephone Number: (816) 471-XXXX
Best Time to Call: Not Given
E-Mail Address: jill---------@yahoo.com

Venue Information
Location Name: ---------
Location City: Kansas City, MO
Est. Distance: 141 miles
Duration: 4:00 hours
Guests: 251-300

Additional Notes:
I would like a price estimate and an overview of your wedding dj philosophy. Also, have you played the -------- before? Thanks,
Jill

Come to find out, she was at the Reception we did this last sat in Kansas City.. she is a co-worker of the Brides father... and he told her about us... so she asked us this question...

Dave
audiopulse

Re: What is your Wedding DJ Philosophy??

Postby DJPete » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:09 am

That is a good question! -- Just yesterday we visted a Wedding Extravaganza in OKC -- Other DJ's focused on the Flashy - Center of Attention method -- Our philosophy is simpley to provide Quality -- The center of attention isn't the DJ, but the Bride/Groom! -- We provide accent lighting and party lighting if requested -- but we do this without the hoopla of trusses (I do have one for School Dances) and fancy costumes.

We interact as needed -- we can be nonexistent or 'party' mood.

We have strived to taylor each gig to the customer's wants/needs -- and in our 7 years of doing this -- has worked each time - -I'm still learning - every gig brings new learning opportunities to the table.

How did you answer her question?
DJPete

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:27 am

I don't have a specific wedding philosophy. However, the following three items from my site's F.A.Q. page probably answers the question.

How are you different from other disc jockeys?
- Many DJs put on such an elaborate show, that they make themselves the center of attention at the event. I feel that doing that will take too much attention away from the guest(s) of honor. If people are partying and on the dance floor, then I certainly will keep those people entertained and occupied. But at times when there is less activity going on, I become less active as well.    

How do you motivate the group to participate in dancing?
- Some people will never dance. Others may dance no matter what song is being played.
- Then there are those people that need a push to get started. For them I play songs like the Cha Cha Slide and Macarena. Songs that do not require a dance partner. Additionally, I will get on the dance floor and lead the beginning of these dances if necessary. Once on the dance floor, I will play great party songs - the kind sof songs that almost everyone knows and loves.
- In addition to merely playing music, if desired, I can help coordinate some party games that will make your event different than the average event.    

How do you set the tone of the event?
- That really depends on you and your desires. I can play upbeat party music all night long, or start with mellower music at the begining and during dinner, and build towards the high energy party music later in the evening.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby DJ Daddy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:21 pm

Dave,

Interesting question indeed. I don't have an answer handy but I believe I would have responded along the lines of I don't have a canned philosophy but rather develop an event philosophy with them.

ps: You didn't call....! That's ok, I've been repairing our septic tank since last Thursday - you didn't want to be close to me....

Last edited by DJ Daddy on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Keyes
Unplugged & Powered Down
DJ Daddy

Postby jwg » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:35 pm

My philosophy is that the Bride & Groom are always #1. They are the center of attention followed by their family and guests. I sit down with them initially and get an idea listening as to what their vision of their day is. I try and pick up on the buzzwords in our conversation Fun, Memorable, People Dancing and put together an event based on those basic needs plus any special activities they want done during the reception.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Digital Scott » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:42 pm

My philosophy is that this is the Bride & Groom's day.
I work for them, and do everything I can to make there day the best day every..
Digital Scott
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:11 pm

My philosophy is:

"Our DJ/emcees do not make themselves the center of attention....our policy is to put the Newlyweds in the spotlight."
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby CJ Greiner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:22 pm

I've heard of overly-interactive DJ's "stealing the show" -- and I certainly don't want that reputation.

I think that there certainly IS a place for interactivity -- and I'll certainly encourage discussions about how to lead different interactive events during weddings and parties.

However, like most of you have already mentioned, I believe that the spotlight should be on the Bride & Groom or the Guest of Honor.

I think that if you can find a good balance... the clients will remember how much fun THEY had with you as the DJ. If you don't find the right balance then all they'll remember is how much fun YOU had as the DJ!

:jumpy:
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby audiopulse » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Good points everyone... as I said, I booked her even before I posted this thread.. I just thought this might be a good topic/question...

This might have been a little overboard on the info, but I felt all my info "philosophy" was already on the website so I decided to elaborate a little more in detail on key things...

Here is part of my email back to her...

................ Our philosophy on a Wedding DJ?? This is an interesting question and most information can be found on our website but I will see if I can elaborate a little here...

Well, our philosophy is that our clients are the most important part of our business. If our clients are not happy with our service, then we would not be able to survive in business. Word of mouth can be the greatest form of advertising but also the worst if you have a client that is not satisfied. That is why we do our best to provide exactly what the client wants and/or needs.

We have never had (or heard of) a client that was not satisfied with our service. We have never been late, we have never not shown up for an event. We ALWAY setup 3 hrs before an event to make sure everything, sound and lights, are working to their best ability and properly.

Communication is another strong issue of ours. We treat our client as we do our marriage.. communication is the key factor to a healthy relationship. My wife and I have been together for almost 5 yrs and have never fought. yes, we have our disagreements, but never a fight. If you turn this over to a business sense, communication is the key factor to a smooth reception / wedding. The more we communicate, the better, less stress at the reception you will encounter... This is your day, you should not have to be stressed, just happy and having fun because this is going to be a once in a lifetime event for you and your fiancé.

We also contact the Photographer, Videographer and caterer to make sure all of us are on the same page at your reception.. we each will know exactly what will be happening next... yes, there have been a few times that plans have changed at the last sec and we have been and will be prepared for that.

Here are some examples...

We had a wedding reception a few months ago and everything was set. As the wedding party arrived with the Bride and Groom, we were informed that the order of introductions had changed. They had to redo the order because of last minute sickness of one bridesmaid and a death in the family of a groomsman so the pairing up, order and fill ins had all changed. We were thanked for handling this situation the way we did as so no one even noticed there was a problem ... went as smooth as silk...

That is why we always have 2 DJs/MCs, myself and my wife attend all events as a team. With wedding receptions, she stays at the entrance to greet the wedding party and Bride & Groom and to make sure the order has not changed and to get them in the order that is setup for the introductions. We are alway in communication with each other by cell phone during this time. She lets me know when the Wedding party is ready to enter and of any changes.

Another communication example is our client for this weekend in Kansas City. We have sent approx 30 emails back and forth over the last 3 months to make sure every detail was covered and understood by each.

Communication is the key...

You asked if we had ever played at the ---------- before? No, we sure haven't. On a side note, We need to know if there are stairs or flights of stairs to get to the reception area...

Sorry to be rambling here, there is just so much more I can elaborate on, it would be hard to put it all in one email... so I will continue with what we have to offer below........................

This booked her....

Dave

PS... DJ Daddy... we were going to spend the night and all but the weather info we got called for possible bad weather so we decided to do a get there/do the gig/ get back home trip... as it sets.. we now have 3 more KC gigs coming up this spring.. we should be able to meet up then... looking forward to it....

PSS... AND just to clarify things.. we are 2 hrs from KC and NO we are not low balling to get the gigs ... all of these gigs are $895.00 Plus bookings ...
audiopulse

Postby jwg » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:15 pm

Communication IS the key. I sometimes have had 3 or 4 pre-reception consultations leading up to the special day. You have to make sure every detail is covered.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Digital Scott » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:50 pm

I agree 100% john. :)
Digital Scott
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djdonny » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:06 pm

Nice reply, Dave. Just the fact that you were willing to type that much in a reply probably convinced her of your willingness to communicate.

By the way...

As the wedding party arrived with the Bride and Groom, we were informed that the order of introductions had changed.

... this seems to happen all the time to me.

Even worse is when the order of the candle-lighting changes at a Sweet-16. Usually the guest of honor doesn't even realize her list is different from the one she sent me until I actually go over it with her.

:roll:
djdonny
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby michigandj » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:06 am

John wrote:

My philosophy is that the Bride & Groom are always #1. They are the center of attention followed by their family and guests

While this is true, during our consultation with the B&G we try to stress that the ultimate goal is to provide a memorable night for all guests of all ages. Our game plan caters to everyone from the children to the elderly and every age in between. Our activity questionnaire is designed to check yes or no acording to the majority attending (age wise).

Our philosophy is to send everyone home saying "Wow, that was the best reception I have ever attended!" :D A lot of times we encounter B&G's who may be hardcore on one genre of music - and have absolutely no interest in game playing, goofy dances, or interaction period. :roll: It is at this point where we explain that the event(s) are all certainly subject to their discretion - however our recommendation is to entertain their guests to the max, incorporate (but not dominate) the night with their taste in music, and create a focal point on THEM for being the reason for the great time we are all having... :jumpy:

Another philosophy we like to present is one of professionalism. We remind our clients of our experience, and ask that the agenda we put in place together be executed by us and no-one else. In other words, the planner, photographer / videographer, etc. should come to us for direction on timeline. We explain that this is not to be a "dictator" as to what happens / when, but to simply keep things organized - and un-waivering from our original plan for he night of their dreams.

audiopulse wrote:

We also contact the Photographer, Videographer and caterer to make sure all of us are on the same page at your reception.. we each will know exactly what will be happening next... yes, there have been a few times that plans have changed at the last sec and we have been and will be prepared for that.

Perfectly said... :!:
http://www.experiencedj.com
http://michigandj.djgold.com

Quality sound, dazzling light shows, and thousands of music titles of all
genres ranging from the 40's through today's HOTTEST hits!!!

Jack B. / Owner
Experience Electronica DJs
michigandj

Postby winsorpd » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:35 am

Howdy,

From the very FIRST minute, my B&G are the focus and I let them know that repeatedly. I work with them to turn a blank canvas into a work of art by combining their ideas with some things they may not have thought of.

Dave
"There is no education in the second kick from a mule"
winsorpd

Postby Joseph Ivy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:14 am

What is my wedding philosophy? I think I may add that to my faq page. I suppose I'll have to answer it though.
I suppose it would be something like this:

Listen, Plan, Execute, Adapt.

Listen to the B&G.
Plan based on their information.
Execute that plan.
Adapt the execution based on the situations that occur.

I am responsible for the execution. My clients have to trust me in that or I won't work with them. The planing and adapting are things that my client and I work on together.

hmm, this will be something fun to talk to my wife about over Christmas break. She finally saw me DJ so she can give me some feedback.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Postby LYoung116 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Each wedding is distinctly unique to the individual couple. They tell me what they want and when they want it done, I make sure it all goes smoothly. I offer suggestions, but ultimately it's their special day.
I'm flexible, and I can handle being thrown a last-minute "curveball" in the itinerary, etc.
Young-At-Heart DJs
LYoung116

Return to Weddings & Formal Events