What do you guys think of this?

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:10 pm

That first site that iluv2dj linked, makes many references to Pinnacle Entertainment, as if one is a division of the other.

If that's the case, and it's the same Pinnacle involved in the 'Pinnacle scam', then steer clear!
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby iluv2dj » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:15 pm

Yes, it is the same company and they actually operate out of the Atlanta
area.
BEWARE!!!
iluv2dj

Postby JR » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:23 pm

And these people are still in buisness? :thumbs_down: For everyone's sake, I hope not.
JR LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
602-621-0329
JR
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby djmc » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:21 pm

bump for Kevin
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby kevincolangelo » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:37 pm

I know all about Academy DJs and can tell you my first hand experience with him:
Ricahrd the owner of this so called National DJ Service used to live in Rochester NY and worked as a DJ in a local bar and did the odd wedding or two:
I got hold of him through a DJ friend and met him - he is English like me:
So I thought great - I will ask him to do some work in NY for me:
We arranged for him to do seevral gigs of which he did three sucessfully:
then out of the blue he moves in with his girlfriend in Ohio and leaves NY:
Before leaving he came to my home and office looking at our operation Nationally - he was trying to sell me cellphones and a load of rubbish - home work type schemes:

Anyway after moving to Ohio he had about 3 gigs left to do for me in NY:

He then calls MY client behind my back and says he cannot do her wedding as he is Ohio and then emails me and tells me this.EVEN though he promised to fulfill his commitment on the remaining gigs in NY.

I was absolutely fuming!

Not only did he contact the client without my permission but he upsets her too:

To cut a long story short he signed a letter agreeing to the gigs and even promised that when he moved to Ohio that he would still do the gigs as promised:

I lost the client - she cancelled and I lost $800 plus PR.

He then springs up with Academy Djs and copys EVERYTHING I am doing and have done on the National DJ side.

As far as I know he books a client at a deposit of $75 and then says he has his Academy DJs all over the USA - when in actual fact he finds ANY DJ anywhere to do the job without any checking whatsoever.

He recently had this problem
http://www.complaints.com/directory/2005/november/17/44.htm

I received this from another DJ who told me about this DJ he subcontracted not turning up:

He offered one of our DJ affiliates in Hawaii a gig and says he does not pay the DJ unitl after the event:

He also demands the full amount from the client paid in full before the event:

He works from his mother in laws house in Oho and his wife's apartment in the same State too:

Recently he approached a friend of mine asking for a letter to prove he had been in a relationship with this woman for the Homeland Security...for his green card application.

He boasts many things on the website and in many pages says - WE are members of the ADJA:

He has Djs all over the USA and even in UK.....:) :)...sure he does!

Everyone has a right to do business and set one up.....and Djs make your choice whether you accept jobs from this guy or not.....I have had ups and downs but now we have a great system and great DJs working for us along the way......

He also boasts bout being members of all these organizations and recommended by the ADJA..

Thats all I know...
kevincolangelo

Postby TheBartman47 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:33 pm

I just got an e-mail today from Academy DJs in a mass e-mail spam type distribution. :x Anyone else get this?
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

yes I actually received one too!

Postby kevincolangelo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:51 pm

I received the same garbage - spam to my email address of all people - he is using a spammer email program that emails any email address it picks up from a website - using key words to find them like dj and discjokey:
His flyer claims he has or does 6000 eventsd a year - UNTRUE - if he does 60 a year thats closer to the bone:
Also he claims carribean cruises - yes I know about those and was offered the contract - they are in land boats around the USA and they want you to arrive 2 hours prior to boarding to lug you gear on a boat and play about 5 hours for $200...some cruise!
Also you ought to check out this on complaints.com
http://search.complaints.com/search?q=academy+djs&site=complaints&client=complaints&proxystylesheet=complaints&output=xml_no_dtd

Also this is a ploy to get you to sign up and pay for territory's about $300 per year....dont waste your time and money thats my advice
Kevin Colangelo
President
Kevin Colangelo Premiere Disc Jockeys LLC
www.kevincolangelo.com
kevincolangelo

Postby Don Niles DJ » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 pm

There appears to be a Huge discrepancy between Richard as a Performing DJ in North East Ohio and the reviews of many of his Sub-contracted jobs on Gigmasters plus these Complaints.com Reviews..It appears that he does quite well with the events he performs in his home area but is very poor with the Maintenance and Communication at the National Level..I did not receive the Spam E-Mail but Academy DJ's appeared on my Called ID last week with no Voice Mail Message..Kevin,I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Last edited by Don Niles DJ on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Niles DJ

2 cents

Postby kevincolangelo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:25 pm

Yes I agree he does a OK job himself - remember he worked for me before his flight to Ohio - read above....even his Gigmasters reviews are not good...he does tend to wildly exagerate and go full throttle without any thought into what he is doing but beleive me the complaints I hear about him from other DJs are too many to mention..he does not verfiy any of his sub contractors and is a wild canon on that level
Kevin Colangelo
President
Kevin Colangelo Premiere Disc Jockeys LLC
www.kevincolangelo.com
kevincolangelo

Postby Don Niles DJ » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:14 pm

The Positive reviews that I spoke of are from the Northeast Ohio Board on the Knot.Com..The Gigmasters Reviews are not too good.
Don Niles DJ

Previous

Return to Weddings & Formal Events