Bouquet Toss and Garter Removal/Toss

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Bouquet Toss and Garter Removal/Toss

Postby BaldGuy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 pm

I know I'm getting old, but I've gotten tired of the situation that crops up at most every wedding reception I've done in my 5 years in business as a DJ....what's that you say? It's the part where, with the help of the Bride and then the Groom, we have to harass and harangue the single women and single men to participate in the Bouquet Toss and Garter Removal/Toss.

Now, I just did a wedding reception where the Bride and Groom wanted to do something different - after I had suggested that they consider doing something out of the ordinary for these "events." They decided they didn't want to do the normal Bouquet and Garter Toss and were more than willing to have the husband remove the Garter and then they gave the Garter to friends of theirs that are getting married in 2009. The husband-to-be then placed the Garter on his fiance's leg and everybody got to hoot and holler anywho, so it worked really well.

My question to all of you is this - have you adopted ANY other methods of dealing with the Bouquet and Garter Toss that you'd like to share? I'm trying to come up with a list of other ways of handling this "situation" that I can recommend to my customers and would appreciate any and ALL suggestions you might have.

Thanks gang for ANY help you are willing to share!

The Bald-Guy 8)
TCN Music - "We put a smile on your face!"
BaldGuy

Re: Bouquet Toss and Garter Removal/Toss

Postby jbrown157 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:04 pm

From one bald guy to another - I like your idea about bringing in the soon-to-be-wed couple. I'll put that in the data bank for future use!

As for other ways to do it...
1. Get the Bride and groom to assist you with calling out their friends who they want to take part - takes the heat off the DJ and the B&G usually enjoy calling out their friends. Often, they'll take the mic and do it themselves.
2. Skip any one of the garter / bouquet items and do only the ones they want to do (Garter or bouquet presentation rather than a toss).
3. I once used the longest married couple from the anniversary dance (pre-planned with the B&G's consent). The couple were in their 70's and got a big kick out of participating in this ritual usually reserved for the "youngsters". This worked out very well, but it would have to be just the right couple to take part in this. Fortunetely, the B&G can usually figure out who the longest married couple will be beforehand.

I always discuss this in detail in advance with my couples so that I have a good handle about how this should be done. Sometimes mild, sometimes wild and sometimes better off not at all! I am seeing more couples skip this entirely and that's fine with me.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Toneman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:14 pm

jbrown157 wrote:Sometimes mild, sometimes wild and sometimes better off not at all! I am seeing more couples skip this entirely and that's fine with me.

What's happening with tradition. I'm finding more and more couples not doing or having any of the traditions. Just First Dance and Cake Cutting or Champagne Toast.
Toneman
Toneman

Postby dokai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 pm

The bouquet was originally to help the bride smell good. (Back then, baths were only taken once or twice a year, and it had probably been a few months since her semi-annual bath.)

The garter removal was to get the bride used to the groom touching her. (Back then, most marriages were arranged and the newlyweds may not have even met each other until earlier that day.)

Since neither of these situations apply any more, is it any surprise that the traditions are fading?
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby BaldGuy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:20 pm

EXACTLY! That is precisely why I am looking for new and DIFFERENT ways to handle the Bouquet Toss and Garter Removal/Toss. It seems any more that most of the young women at a Reception are NOT inclined to make ANY effort to catch the Bouquet and, while most guys don't mind lining up for the Garter Toss, most women don't want somebody they don't know groping their leg as they put the Garter Belt on them (plus, you can get a wide age disparity, even if you use a "baseline" age for each "event)......therefore, the plea for any and ALL assistance! (hehehehe)

I'm hoping there will be more posts here but, in the mean time, I'm continuing to bounce this question off of people who aren't in the business and am then filtering through their replies as well.

In any event, if any one has any other ideas, please post them - no matter how silly or odd they may sound!

Thanks again,

The Bald-Guy 8)
TCN Music - "We put a smile on your face!"
BaldGuy

Postby Joseph Ivy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:47 pm

No new ideas here. However, I don't ever harangue anyone.
I think I am right. You think that you are right. I suggest that we figure out which one of us is wrong.
Joseph Ivy

Return to Weddings & Formal Events