No, I will not do a Wedding For..

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

No, I will not do a Wedding For..

Postby AlbanyAMS » Fri May 18, 2007 5:03 am

I recently received a referral from a DJ acquaintance of mine. He proceeds to tell me that another DJ overbooked for a day in June, yes next month! and she is in dire need...

I receive her information...Called her. We speak for 45 minutes..I quote her and I can tell she was speechless. She proceeds to tell me the *other DJ* quoted her $450. :oops:

WTF?????

We are a multi-op, and I can afford to offer discounts to have the guys work, but $450!!?? And it was out of town.

She explained to me that the *other DJ* did call her and say he was offered another event...What he should've told her, imo...was the truth. More $$$$

He was shocked that she even told him my price for the 4 hours..NOT $450!!

My acquaintaince called me and said "Joey called me and said you quoted some outrageuos price of $$$$ ...I confirmed, I said,. that's a little above the average...For reasons...

I then said to him respectively..."Listen, if you ever receive another referral and would like to throw my way, here is the $$ I start at, nothing less, fyi"...

I wished them all luck and good wishes...

Did I do the right thing??
AlbanyAMS

Re: No, I will not do a Wedding For..

Postby len » Fri May 18, 2007 7:30 am

Your price is your price. If another dj is willing to work for less, then take another offer, then screw a customer, etc. that's not your problem.

I don't think you did anything wrong.
Have lights, will travel.
630-675-3640
http://www.chicagolightingdesign.com
len

Postby dokai » Fri May 18, 2007 9:49 am

I know it sounds callous, but there's a reason the bride was originally quoted $450 - the person that gave her that quote wasn't a professional. If he WAS a professional, then she wouldn't be scrambling around looking for a new DJ because he'd be honoring his obligation.

You get what you pay for. And while I find it difficult to raise too much sympathy for short-sighted people like her, I hope she sues his @$$ off!
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby AlbanyAMS » Fri May 18, 2007 9:52 am

Well, I know she is Piiiiiiiissed!!

Outta my hands...

I called and left her 2 messagfes and plenty of time, nuthin'...

Oh well.
AlbanyAMS

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri May 18, 2007 10:21 am

Apparently the first DJ did not give her a contract?
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby DJ Scott » Mon May 21, 2007 2:51 pm

I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. You quoted your price, if she doesn't like, it's not YOUR problem. Wish them well and move on.
You don't have to save anyones party because someone else bailed. Nothing personal....just business.
I learned this long ago. I was killing myself covering these events so the bride would not have her day ruined. I finally realized, I didn't have to save the world. I only need to worry about ME.
Scott McKinney
Solid Sound Entertainment
Loveland, CO.
www.solidsoundentertainment.com
www.solidsoundbubbleparties.com
DJ Scott

Postby At Last Productions » Tue May 22, 2007 8:55 am

DJ Scott wrote:I learned this long ago. I was killing myself covering these events so the bride would not have her day ruined. I finally realized, I didn't have to save the world. I only need to worry about ME.

Something That I Need To Learn!!!!!!!!!!!
At Last Productions

Postby Dj Sean » Sat May 26, 2007 12:32 am

AlbanyAMS the other side of the coin is this, if you're not booked that day in June, unless your area is way different than mine, your not gonna get booked that day, (thats just next month)!

So you can help her out and make $450 maybe more if can help her see your value over the other guy right or potentially make nothing that day.

You'll probably book some of her quests if you save her day because she will be so happy.

I'm curious what did you quote her? Why not tell us? if your price is $2000 then I can see why she would take a step back.

It's no big secret we pretty much know most DJ's price range.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby mobiledjgeorgia » Sat May 26, 2007 3:46 pm

I have found in my area you need to stick to your price, and as others have said, let them do it cheaper...... :D
mobiledjgeorgia

Return to Weddings & Formal Events