Anyone dare to dabble in the Craigslist wedding forums?

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

Anyone dare to dabble in the Craigslist wedding forums?

Postby Dj Sean » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:26 pm

One DJ wrote his complaint about eventually being put out of a job and of course, he is getting little or no sympathy, really it's more like he's getting flamed for his comment.

I on the other hand, wrote the following in response to the bride's original post, who asked for opinions about a real DJ vs. the ipod DJ. I got flagged by another user for my following comment!!

"Being a DJ I am of course a little biased, but I am not without some input. Because unlike the other DJ, I am not worried of being out of work, I am doing great and will continue to do great!

I think DJ in a box, can work fine, if your not expecting much but for things to be casual and nice.

I think the reason being is your "most likely" not going to get many people dancing to a preprogrammed box of music. It could happen but not too likely to happen.

The biggest part of our job as a DJ is really being the MC, the Master of Ceremony. If you don't have a professional DJ then you or someone will have to "try" and fill that role. Will it be pulled off? Maybe, maybe not.

But, if you interview some professional DJ's in your area and go with one you feel comfortable and like, then your chances of having a memorable wedding have increased.

Me personally, I would rather have a small wedding cake, with a Costco cake in the back already cut up, less flowers and decorations, or a more simple dinner than skimping out on the entertainment. Why, because in think down the road, you and your quests will more likely remember the dancing, music, laughter and atmosphere rather than the cake, flowers, etc.

Is it worth it to pay a professional DJ verses the ipod DJ? Truthfully, that’s really up to you and your fiancé/fiancée to decide. But, I'm glad to see your asking for second opinions, that is always a good thing, in my opinion.

I wish you the best in whatever you choose, have fun!!

-DJ Sean"

I really can't see why anyone would flag my input, but alas I get flagged all the time for little or no reason.

So, I wanted to see if anyone here has ever visited the Craigslist wedding forum, and if you feel it's worth it or not. What are your experiences with it.

I personally like giving some input, but I usually get flagged or flamed, the place is crawling with hateful unhappy people. And what makes it worse is you can post without a handle or signing in, so many haters can stay annonomous. But, on the otherhand I get to speak directly with a lot of great brides and grooms!!

So, I continue to stick it out, of course, now choosing my words more carefully than ever. I think I may make a small impact on a few brides and grooms, as about once a week I refer the ADJA as a great resource to find professional DJ's in your area. And I only hope I give an example of a honest, professional, and down-to-earth DJ, so some brides and grooms see great DJ's DO exsist, and they don't end up agreeing with the sometimes down right laughable haters that lurk there.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Re: Anyone dare to dabble in the Craigslist wedding forums?

Postby len » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:35 am

I don't. But I can guess you might have gotten flagged because any reference to your business might be construed as outside their terms of service. No hard facts, just a guess.

Seems like the CL community is no more worthwhile than knot boards. The percentage of the total market is small, but very vocal within its own world.
Have lights, will travel.
630-675-3640
http://www.chicagolightingdesign.com
len

Postby Dj Sean » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:20 pm

Len, thats just it though, I make no mention of my business and the OP was way outside my service area, in fact in another state. I was not there to promote myself in any way, I just wanted to give some positive input to our worth as DJ's.

I understand your gonna have to deal with a slew of negativity in forums like these but in some ways that only fuels my own fire, as I want to give a good representation of a "good" DJ, one who's down to earth, honest, and cares about whet he does. If I don't let the haters lure me into a pissing match then some B & G's will see an "example" of a mature and worthwhile DJ. And their goes the arguement of some haters who say DJ's aren't worth a dime.

It's is worth it to me to talk with some Brides and Grooms to be, you don't get that here or at any of the DJ boards. Talking with other DJ's is of great value to me, but talking with my or other DJ clients is of even more value I think. I was just wondering if anyone else here does the same and what their thoughts are on it.

P.S. I think I've seen Teddy there but it could be someone else.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby djmc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:40 pm

I haven't used Craigslist in nearly three years!

YELP has been more productive for me.....its really popular in Northern Cali (especially the Bay Area) and I'm one of the "Elite" members (highly regarded as an authority on the Yelp boards).....I've never had a single post flagged on Yelp (yet).
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dan Zynda, Mobile Music » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:01 pm

I've been to Craigslist, where is the wedding forum?
Dan Zynda, Mobile Music

Postby djmc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:24 am

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/forums/?forumID=15

this is the one I found in the Sacramento region.

I never went here when I used CL.....I used to post at the Event Services section (back when there was a 30 day post life----now that there is a 7-day limit on your listings, CL is virtually useless as a link generator).
Non-cheesy Disc Jockey services for Sacramento WeddingsImage
djmc
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dan Zynda, Mobile Music » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:12 am

Incredible, nobody posting in Savannah's forum since December! Whew, one less place for me to spend my cyber-time!
Dan Zynda, Mobile Music

Postby Dj Sean » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Well the wedding board DJMC posted is international, and it gets lots of traffic. But, of course, its mainly brides, that will pounce on a vendor if they spam or even sometimes offer there opinion on something.

As such, I hardly ever go there anymore.
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Return to Weddings & Formal Events