just secured my first venue!!!

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

just secured my first venue!!!

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:16 pm

well,
i went full time this year and have been working hard to get in the good graces of local venues for future business. last week i sent a mass (personalized) email to all the venues i have not played at as of yet. most responded with a "thank you, we will retain your info for future brides" type email response. one responded saying that they wanted to meet with me. i went out and gave my wedding presentation to the manager and she loved it! they have checked my references and my first wedding is Oct.28th!!! From here on out i am their official dj. The current dj is under contract to fullfill the weddings for which he has been paid a deposit.

the place is a spacious mansion just outside of town and is quickly gaining popularity. my standard rate for them is $1100. $300 more than my normal rate. i am so hyped about the possibilities.

are any of you "the dj" for a particular venue? any advice?
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
davidjones@a2zmobilemusic
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Digital Scott » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:49 pm

I have been tryin to do that ,but the venues here dont want a house dj .they want the B&G's to get there own.

Good job.. :D
Digital Scott
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Re: just secured my first venue!!!

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:58 pm

this place is 20,000 to rent for the weekend. gorgeous!! they will allow outside dj's BUT i'm the one they are intruduced to at their "vendor day".
on that day the bride comes out and meets the on site caterer & the 2 photographers they recommend. they told me they wanted one dj that would know the ropes and RESPECT the way they do things. in the past other dj's have have come out and basically tried to run the place without regard to other vendors.

the dj i'm replacing has MS and is progressively getting worse. they don't feel comfortable booking him on events a year out. so they both decided to break ties on new business.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby At Last Productions » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:58 pm

congradulations! I too would like something like that. my full time job takes one saturday a month away from djing. as far as going full time that is not happening anytime soon. I do have several vendors and locations that recomend me first. so I guess I kind of have it good right now.
At Last Productions

Postby jwg » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:14 am

David:

I'm torn on this. On 1 hand, I'm happy you've made strides with such an elegant venue. On the other hand, it sounds like the venue is kicking the DJ with MS to the curb. Sounds very uncaring on their part. How does he feel about the situation? Does he know the venue is replacing him? In his mind, is he thinking he could continue into next year?

In answer to your other question, yes I have a restaurant that has recommended me almost exclusively for several of their venues. I have a good relationship with the owner and the banquet manager of their catering division.
jwg
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:32 am

john,
it started to become an issue with some of the brides. the venue's business is increasing and they had concerns about health. he also plays at a local kareoke place in town. he knows whats going on and respects they're decision. the grounds is very spread out. most people elect to do the ceremony in the gardens and that requires a second system on his part. physically they say it's hard on him.

he has 19 gigs under contract there between now and next fall. i feel sorry for him as well but i think you can see the side of the venue (protecting itself and their clients)

the lady said she and the manager had been discussing a possible change. one day out to lunch they saw my suv signage and they tried to catch me but could not read all of my info (speeding i guess). 2 days later i emailed!!
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby davidjones@a2zmobilemusic » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:39 am

i feel blessed to get the chance.
David Jones
A 2 Z MOBILE MUSIC
Gold Circle Member