First possible relay!!

Open Discussion for Weddings and other Formal events: Photos, Videos and success stories are welcome! Ask questions and learn from the best.

Moderator: Dave Miller

First possible relay!!

Postby Dj Sean » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Hey everyone I recently got a call from Relay for life.

I am interested in helping out but I have never DJ'ed a relay before. I read many of your guys experiences with relays and wondered if you guys could help me out.

First off, what should I expect and prepare for?? I know they are long and require endurance and dedication. (I feel prepared for that, I am 28 and have Dj'ed many parties where I played for 8 hrs plus).

Also (and you certainly don't have to answer or you could PM me) what do you guys charge for relays??

I want to help out by giving a good quote but also don't want to give myself away for free.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!!!
Last edited by Dj Sean on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Beat Productions
http://www.TheEventDj.com/
Professional DJ service for all of Northern California and Nevada.
Dj Sean

Postby TheBartman47 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:50 pm

Every RFL is different. Some I've done were almost all bands playing the whole time, and others have been no bands and only DJ, and some have been a wide mix of bands, DJ time, interactive games, contests, etc.

As for pricing, I quoted 75% off my listed price except no discount for the travel fee. For one that was very close to me, it was about $250, and another further away was around $350 (difference in travel expenses).

Others here have done some free, $1, partial discount, and full price.
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:14 am

thanks bartman for the info. I really apricate it. :D
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby dokai » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:18 am

Don't forget that it's not just a "DJ gig". It's also a camp-out. Bring sleeping bags, tents, plastic bags to use as speaker covers in the event of rain, that type of thing. You also want to visit the site before, if possible. Determine where the power is going to be coming from, etc. It'll also give you a chance to have some input on where you're going to be located. Think of the flow of events, and how close you need to be to the various locations.

As far as charging, I gave them one "freebie" this year, and charged half of my normal wedding fee for each of the remaining Relays. My logic was based on the Relays taking up a day that could have been spent doing a more lucrative wedding, but as long as I made half of that, I could survive.

Good luck!
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:32 am

Great input Dokai.

Garbage bags are now on the list.

Thank you!! :D
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Re: First possible relay!!

Postby jbrown157 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:20 am

Hi Sean,
There are several Relay - related threads right here on DJGold. Here's the latest one...

http://start.djgold.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1353

You can learn most everything you'll need to know by reading through them. As you mentioned, there are a number of us here on this board with lots of experience doing relays and help is just a click away. Be sure and download the music list that was compiled from suggestions of the members of this board.

I personally don't charge the ACS (at least I haven't yet) but that's my personal choice. I have provided a sound system for the entire 24 hours our events run here, but on two occasions, I have left to do a wedding, returning afterwards to finish the Relay. Many of the guys here charge a discounted fee and stay for the entire event. You should do whatever is right for your situation.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance. Have fun with it.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Postby Dave Miller » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:19 am

I come up with a price based upon my regular price plus all that overtime and put that on the contract. I then discount all but $1. For legal and insurance reasons, you should never do free gigs, but charge $1. So that's what I do.

Of course, I only do one Relay each year. I have learned that in the next ACS region, a single company does all the Relays. Obviously, they cannot afford to do them all for free. They DO provide a decent discount though.

As far as preparing, when is the Relay? If possible go to the planning meetings - usually these are once a month for a few months prior to the relay and the team leaders attend. Find out what they expect of you. Ask them their plans and how they want you to fit in. Offer to do some of your Mitzvah games. They will probably be able to provide the necessary supplies. I.E. I do the Mummy Game. They brought a case of toilet paper for me.
Dave Miller Weddings
Reverend Dave Miller

Serving the Northern New Jersey area since 1983
Music For People With Taste
I am the ADJA!
Dave Miller
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby Dj Sean » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:37 pm

Thanks for the help Teddy and jbrown, I feel honored to help out with the Relay for Life, and the more I can learn from your guys experiences the more I can help all the great people that fight for this good cause.

I want to commend all of you who have helped the RFL. You inspire me!!
And I can't say in words how proud I am to be a DJ right now!!

It is action like this that raises our public image of what a DJ is to the communities we are a part of.

Based on what everyone has told me and what I have read so far, I plan on offering my services, equipment, plus volunteer my time.

Thank you again, for everyone's input!! :D :D :D
On Beat Productions
Dj Sean

Postby jbrown157 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:34 pm

Dj Sean wrote: I want to commend all of you who have helped the RFL. You inspire me!!
And I can't say in words how proud I am to be a DJ right now!!

It is action like this that raises our public image of what a DJ is to the communities we are a part of.

Based on what everyone has told me and what I have read so far, I plan on offering my services, equipment, plus volunteer my time.

Thank you again, for everyone's input!! :D :D :D

Thank You Sean. It's people like yourself who are raising the bar and making being a mobile DJ an honorable profession. You're a good man!

Good things happen to those who do good things.
Jack Brown DJ / Entertainment
"We Make Memories"
www.jackbrowndj.com
"I am the ADJA!"

No trees were harmed as a result of this post..
However, thousands of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
jbrown157
Gold Circle Member
Gold Circle Member

Return to Weddings & Formal Events