EV Live-X review

Gear & Equipment reviews and discussions.
Troubleshooting tips, equipment recommendations and more...

Moderator: Dave Miller

EV Live-X review

Postby BillESC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 pm

From another forum. I get to demo them next week and will post my findings.

""Well I got a chance to listen to the 3 powered speakers today in a meeting with the EV rep. I'm impressed. They aren't necessarily light but I had no issue easily carrying the 15 up the stairs into the shop and I'm a pretty little guy, it was definitely a one-handed job. 2The cabs are built well and feel solid (the rep did mention that hitting the price point means they couldn't put in the structure to make them flyable), the controls on the back are laid out well and have all the features I would ever want in a powered speaker realistically.

Both inputs are mic or line level and there is a third volume knob that is essentially the "amp att. knob" so you have complete mix control of the two inputs. There is a switch to turn the built-in crossover on/off and a switch to give it a nice smiley face for playback situations. The 12 and 15 both have really nice high-end, very smooth. The sound is powerful but well balanced to it is firm without being too aggressive/loud. They sound really good. Without the sub neither of them really had any low end punch to them but at the same time it didn't feel like it was lacking anything. Basically if you need subs you need subs but if you are doing playback for an outdoor party, an acoustic gig, a stage monitor or using it in a rehearsal space there was plenty.

Now the sub. It was pretty compact honestly. I think it was about the height of the K sub but more of a cube so you could actually put a speaker pole on it. This one only has a single input meant to take the loop through from your tops. I tried to find the max output but never did get the clip lights to hit on any of the speakers, tons of volume. The sub sounds awesome and really puts out a lot for such a small box, 4 of these would be a killer rig. It amused us a little bit when the sub started walking away on kick hits because it wasn't heavy enough to sit on the smooth concrete without a top placed on it.

MAP for the 12 is $599 and for the 18 is $799"
Thanks,

Bill - ESC

Innovative production assistance since 1973
804-435-6858
info@entsyscorp.com
www.entsyscorp.com
BillESC
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Re: EV Live-X review

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Would enjoy reviews form others.

I can't decide between the Live-x 12", Yamaha DSR112 and QSC KW12.

What would you guys and gals choose?
Music De-Lite ... A Fun and Highly Experienced Puget Sound Party DJ & Wedding DJ Service. Check us out, we may have your date open?

http://www.musicdelitedj.com
Robert

Re: EV Live-X review

Postby Robert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

No Live-x users here it appears. I my just buy more K10 and K12 speakers and foget about the Live-x. It may not be better anyway???
Music De-Lite ... A Fun and Highly Experienced Puget Sound Party DJ & Wedding DJ Service. Check us out, we may have your date open?

http://www.musicdelitedj.com
Robert

Return to Gear - Equipment - Sound & Lighting