Headphone recommendations?

Gear & Equipment reviews and discussions.
Troubleshooting tips, equipment recommendations and more...

Moderator: Dave Miller

Headphone recommendations?

Postby dokai » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:49 am

You know how some people refuse to buy expensive cars because their cars get so much abuse? That's the way I've been approaching my headphone choices since I first started mobile work and destroyed my nice 'phones: buy cheap and replace often. However, I'm tired of not being able to hear well when in a loud environment, and when are we NOT in loud environments, right? I also buy quality gear for everything else and have seen the ROI compared to buying cheap, so it's time to invest in some good headphones.

So, I'm looking for (in this order) loud, reliable and good sound quality. I see that some headphones come with replaceable cords, which I think is a great feature. Cordless would be perfect, IMHO, but I don't know of any cordless headphones that could take the kind of abuse that DJ headphones typically see. I'd even be willing to consider In Ear Monitors, although that would probably be overkill. Then again, I frequently enjoy overkill. :D

Related question: How do most of you carry/transport your headphones? Tossed in your rack? Floating around the backseat of your car? Put inside a velvet carrying bag and carefully placed into a padded container? I'm adding an SKB drawer to my rack to hold miscellaneous kibble, and that's probably where my headphones will end up. There will be "pick and pluck" foam involved, so they'll be somewhat protected.

Thoughts?
"You are what you do when it counts."
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Re: Headphone recommendations?

Postby BillESC » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 pm

I use a StudioPhone by Audio Technica. Probably 10 years old.

Check out the line, from cheap to very expensive.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/p ... dphones.pl
Thanks,

Bill - ESC

Innovative production assistance since 1973
804-435-6858
info@entsyscorp.com
www.entsyscorp.com
BillESC
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby dokai » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 pm

BillESC wrote:I use a StudioPhone by Audio Technica. Probably 10 years old.

Thanks, Bill! I'll check them out.
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:31 am

I toss my headphones inside the mixer rack. Had them for a couple years now, still work fine. They were given to me free, but are some real cheap stuff too (too embarrased to divulge the brand name).
Bartman Audio Production
http://www.bartmanaudio.com
TheBartman47
Senior Gold Member
Senior Gold Member

Postby dokai » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 am

LOL @ Bartman

Why is it that headphones get no love? We buy top-notch gear on everything else but we both use cheap headphones! :D

Anybody else want to chime in? Christmas is almost here and I'm thinking of dropping my choice as a hint for last minute shopping.
dokai
Gold Premium Member
Gold Premium Member

Postby djwak59 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi everybody,
Haven't posted in a while, but I saw this and HAD to put in 2 cents !
bartman....I'll spill my beans about the brand I use........AIWA ! I've had them for about 12 years ! When the fake vinyl covering started to peel off the ear cups, I just pulled the rest of it off, and they LOOK fine. They look like something out of a 70s sci-fi movie but they still work fine.
Dokai....I'm also looking for a louder pair, but , the headphone amp on the mixer also has something to do with how well you hear your sound.
I recently bought a Denon X050 ( so far I love it ) and I thought I'd have some boom for my headphones, but not the case. I've also used Furman mixers and Rane and they BOTH would pop my eardrums if I didn't watch it.
So....I'm looking for a good, REASONABLE, pair too.
See ya.
djwak59

Postby CJ Greiner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:48 am

I use a pair of DJ Headphones that I won at Mobile Beat Vegas back in... ('02 ???)

They were a prototype for a company - not sure if they were ever mass produced. I'm guessing in the $125-$175 range. I would never have spent that much for them, since there are lots of similar headphones out that appear to have similar quality in the $30-$70 range. Their nice feature is that the ear cups rotate so you can listen to just one headphone while holding the set against your ear if you want.

Storage? In a foam cut-out area in the same box I carry my microphones in. Your idea of a drawer with foam is perfect. Headphones can take a little knocking around, but there's no reason to beat them up excessively.
>> CJ Greiner
Website Administrator

www.SmithfieldEntertainment.com
www.SilverStarDJs.com
CJ Greiner
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Gear - Equipment - Sound & Lighting